Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Help with pattern >
  • Help with pattern

• Help with pattern

Old 08-11-2011, 01:16 PM

I recently saw a quilt I would love to make. It is very similar to a rag quilt. The total size of the block was 13" finished. The centre was quilted 10" square ever 2" intervals. Then the remaining 3" all the way around the block were cut, I think into 1/4" rags." Then you would take a rag from each block and tie into a double knot to join the squares together. Does anyone know of this pattern?
    Old 08-11-2011, 01:19 PM
    Power Poster

I have seen this method using fleece. You might do a search of fleece tied quilt or blanket.
    Old 08-11-2011, 01:39 PM
    Power Poster

Here's what I would do. I would cut my two 13" squares, one each of top & backing. Then I would sandwich it with a 10" square of batting, centering the batting in the larger squares. Do a stay stitch all the way around the batting, taking care not to catch the batting and using a short stitch. Then I would quilt the center with whatever pattern you like (sounds like a perfect opportunity to practice FMQ). Cut the 'fringes' all the way around. You will need to measure your fringes so that you get the same number on each side of each block. when you cut the fringe, make sure you don't clip the stay stitching. Then tie one block to the next. each knot will have 4 fringes, the top & backing fabric from each block. I would say that 1/4" is a very small fringe to be doing. On a 10" center, you would have 40 cuts on each side or 120 on each block. WOW. I'd try 1/2" or 1". I'd make 2 trial squares before embarking on a whole quilt. the other thing is with the 13" block & 10" center, your fringes will only be 1.5 inches, which may be a bit difficult to tie. Might want to do a 14 or 15 inch square with the 10 inch center.
    I googled tied fleece blanket instructions but didn't find one that specifially detailed how to handle the corners. you can do more research. I think I would just cut the corner square out.
    Old 08-12-2011, 05:24 AM

THANK YOU! I have searched the internet but could not find something even close but I agree the fringe would be very small. Corners could be an issue...