Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help in picking a new machine >

Help in picking a new machine

Help in picking a new machine

Old 04-15-2011, 01:17 PM

I have figured out that I cannot machine quilt a twin size quilt on my little janome. The throat area is simply not big enough.

Ideally, I'm looking for a machine that can do very basic embroidery as well as piecing/quilting. I also can't spend more that 400.00 and even that is going to kill me cause I'll have to save forever for it.

This is the one I was looking at:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Brother-Se...hine/14237607#

Another option that I was thinking about it just removing the Embroidery from the scenario. I have no interest in embroidering every dish cloth in existence or all the other cool junk you can do with a fancy embroidery machine. My sole purpose into looking into one is to make embroidered quilt labels cause I think they are gorgeous.

It's hard to visualize some of these throat areas on other machines. I have to have a machine that will accept a 1/4" foot, open toed foot for FMQ and walking foot. That's a deal breaker, I have to have that. What size of a throat will accommodate larger quilts?

I haven't had to consider a new machine for 8 years. I got a tiny little starter machine that I couldn't get any quilting accessories for it. I have a little Janome 415 that I love that will piece all my quilts and will be my main machine. I'm looking for a machine that can do the things the Janome can do if it has to, like when the Janome is in the shop...but it's main purpose would be a larger throat area.

What do you guys think because I'm getting lost in google and amazon and ebay. I just cannot navigate the internet well and it just all seems so overwhelming!
Old 04-15-2011, 01:23 PM

If you don't care about the fancy stitches, look at the Brother PQ1500-S. New it is around $700 so a used one should be in your price range. It has a 9 inch throat. I'm currently quilting a 95 x100 quilt on mine. I'm only doing straight lines because I stink at FMQ, but I'm having no problem with throat space.

It came with a 1/4 foot, FMQ foot and a walking foot. It also has the extension table.

I bought it because it was the cheapest machine with the largest throat I could find. I had a cheap Brother for years and loved it. I kept it for fancy stitches.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:24 PM

You know, if you didn't want the embroidery function, I would say to save some money and get a nice heavy older machine. The gear-driven old-timers are solid stitchers, great for straight and FMQ as well. Then you can save more money and invest in a good embroidery machine. Multi-function computerized machines are great, but nowdays so light, that unless you have them bolted to a table they move too much while quilting. Well, my Brother does anyway, that's why I quilt on an old workhorse or two, or three, or four,,,,,,which ever one is calling out to me..LOL
Old 04-15-2011, 02:10 PM

I agree with bayside gal, get and old Singer. They really don't take much to get going if needed. For as little as $125 or less you could get machine and sometimes a cabinet. I put a WTB ad on CL for a Singer 301 to send to my daughter in Japan so she could use it for quilting. I had a lady contact me and she gave it to me for free! Here are models I would suggest 201, 15-91 or 301, they're gear driven you won't be sorry.
Here is an example of what you could get
http://providence.craigslist.org/atq/2297439786.html
Old 04-15-2011, 02:14 PM

May I suggest going to your dealer, I got my espire for 1800, but got the 12 months no interest payments, Paid 200 a month for a year, Its a way to get a nicer machine without having to pay all at once. I love it, don't know what you can afford but the dealers do have plans to make them more affordable
Old 04-15-2011, 02:51 PM

With all the new machines that are coming out and people upgrading there are lots of really good second hand machines around. I have a Husqvarna Designer 1 ....a really solid machine that does lovely sewing and superb embroidery...there were two types, ones that took floppy discs and ones that were an upgraded model that took USB, I have the USB model....when these were new about 10 years ago they were about $4000 I believe but now can be picked for a few hundred dollars so maybe worth looking at.....unless you want something that reads the designs ultra quick they are still great machines.
If you buy a second hand embroidery be sure to check how you transfer the designs...is the card reader easily available etc. A real bargain could turn out to be really costly if you have to purchase extras or it is so old you can't readily get extras.

If you decide not to go down the embroidery route...I think Pfaffs are great with the IDT which is there integral walking foot....makes piecing so much easier and more accurate....these machines can also be picked up second hand within your budget.....
I wrote the following as a reply to someone elses question re choosing a machine ...but think it might also help you

I think if you are buying a machine they are some real do's and don'ts...
1. Decide what you are going to do with it, what features are a real must have and what are a nice to have and write them down so when you go to buy you have your list with you.
2. If you have a budget, stick to it...it is so easy to get sucked in at a dealer and spend so much more on a machine that will be fab but probably do far more than you will ever need and you may well regret spending so much more once you get home !
3. Ring round dealers and see what they have new and old ( I then look the machines up on the internet to see if the features match my list ) Ask what gaurantee they have....AND bargain with them ....most really want your business and will quite often come down abit in price to get it.
Sewing machines are a really personal thing and you can get lots of information on the internet but I think you really do have to go and give them a real test drive....I would take some bits of fabric and ask to play.
Any good dealer should be more than happy to let you do this....don't be rushed into making your choice.
Good luck...Please let us know what you get.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Little RoO
With all the new machines that are coming out and people upgrading there are lots of really good second hand machines around. I have a Husqvarna Designer 1 ....a really solid machine that does lovely sewing and superb embroidery...there were two types, ones that took floppy discs and ones that were an upgraded model that took USB, I have the USB model....when these were new about 10 years ago they were about $4000 I believe but now can be picked for a few hundred dollars so maybe worth looking at.....unless you want something that reads the designs ultra quick they are still great machines.
If you buy a second hand embroidery be sure to check how you transfer the designs...is the card reader easily available etc. A real bargain could turn out to be really costly if you have to purchase extras or it is so old you can't readily get extras.

If you decide not to go down the embroidery route...I think Pfaffs are great with the IDT which is there integral walking foot....makes piecing so much easier and more accurate....these machines can also be picked up second hand within your budget.....
I wrote the following as a reply to someone elses question re choosing a machine ...but think it might also help you

I think if you are buying a machine they are some real do's and don'ts...
1. Decide what you are going to do with it, what features are a real must have and what are a nice to have and write them down so when you go to buy you have your list with you.
2. If you have a budget, stick to it...it is so easy to get sucked in at a dealer and spend so much more on a machine that will be fab but probably do far more than you will ever need and you may well regret spending so much more once you get home !
3. Ring round dealers and see what they have new and old ( I then look the machines up on the internet to see if the features match my list ) Ask what gaurantee they have....AND bargain with them ....most really want your business and will quite often come down abit in price to get it.
Sewing machines are a really personal thing and you can get lots of information on the internet but I think you really do have to go and give them a real test drive....I would take some bits of fabric and ask to play.
Any good dealer should be more than happy to let you do this....don't be rushed into making your choice.
Good luck...Please let us know what you get.
I forgot all about 2nd hand. That would certainly work too....2nd hand from a dealer I mean. I have some free time on Thursday (yeah really far away) and I'll go down to the place I got my Janome at. See what they have. I got mine for a really awesome deal because the new models were coming out and he wanted to make room for them and get rid of the oldest new machines. I bought my little janome for 199.00 and she was worth every penny!
Old 04-15-2011, 11:15 PM

I have never bought brand new...mainly because I can't afford them...my Designer 1, cost me £600 two years ago which was about $1000 (I live in the UK)....which I thought was a really good price, the dealer also gave me £250 ( $400) for my old machine so that bought the price right down......if you can bear to part with your Janome they may be willing to take that as well which would increase your budget....All the dealers want a sale at the moment....so you have nothing to lose in asking them to lower the price....what's the worst they can do.....say No !!!
Best of luck
Old 04-16-2011, 12:36 AM
Power Poster

After my Pfaff drove me to drink and my DH literally begged me to go look for a new machine (he was afraid that I was going to toss mine thru the window - lol) I shopped around. Read reviews on patternreview.com and looked at the different websites to check features. Then we went dealer shopping. I test drove Janomes, Brothers, and Vikings, but it was the Babylock that got my attention.

I LOVE my Espire (now Symphonie). LOVELOVELOVE! It is the quietest, best behaved machine I ever had. Once upon a time, I was a fanatic about the Pfaff IDT. I barely miss it any more.

When I was looking for a new machine, I always listed the features I HAD to HAVE and features that would be nice but not deal breakers, then I compared machines based on that list.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:57 AM

To me, that one doesn't have a lot of room either. I would go to a dealer/s and see what they have as trade ins. You'll get a higher end machine for much less than it would be new.

You can also check out Craig's List.