Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help Please With Crib Quilt Sizes >

Help Please With Crib Quilt Sizes

Help Please With Crib Quilt Sizes

Old 05-17-2014, 04:08 AM

Default Help Please With Crib Quilt Sizes

What is the most common crib quilt size for charity quilts for Project Linus and other children organizations. I have been making mine 45 x 60. Is this to large? What size do you make your charity quilts for cribs?
Old 05-17-2014, 04:20 AM

According to the Project Linus website, the take blankets as small as 36 x 36 and the majority of the blankets received are 40 x 60. http://projectlinus.org/?redirect=false
Old 05-17-2014, 04:31 AM
Power Poster

There are no hard lines for any sizes of quilts because the size of the quilt depends on the size of the blocks.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:46 AM

I work with our local chapter of Project Linus, and the only suggestion I would make (cautiously), is that if you are going to make bigger ones, don't use baby fabrics – save them for baby-sized quilts. I've seen blankets made that were pretty big with pacifiers and such, and they really aren't all that suitable for older kids.

Also, the blankets don't have to be big enough to use on a bed; I know I get caught up in thinking that, but really, the blankets are for cuddling so they don't have to be huge. So I guess my point is, don't worry so much about the size, because there will be a child the right size waiting for it.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:33 AM

I like the slightly larger ones to grow with the kids. The benefit of 40 inch wide is you don't have to piece the backing. This is a great advantage if you are doing charity quilts.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:48 AM

I was not sure what size to make a crib quilt that I was giving as a gift and ended up going to the store and purchasing a set of receiving blankets. Then I ended up using one for the backing of the quilt. I have also made some 45x45 to use for floor quilts or the inside of a playpen. Like others have said any size will work.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:52 AM

Baby quilts vary in size a lot. Yours is a great size. I think 36" square is the smallest I have made, most are around 40" by 52-60". The block size and design dictate overall size for me.
Old 05-17-2014, 03:33 PM

I make all of mine 40 x 60. Then I buy a crib size batting and there is very little waste.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Auntie V View Post
I was not sure what size to make a crib quilt that I was giving as a gift and ended up going to the store and purchasing a set of receiving blankets. Then I ended up using one for the backing of the quilt. I have also made some 45x45 to use for floor quilts or the inside of a playpen. Like others have said any size will work.
See, I'm making my own recieving blankets because the ones they sell now days are so small. They look more like burp rags than blankets that can be wrapped around a baby. I'm getting ready to make some for my 6 mo granddaughter and my newest great grandson since the weather is getting warmer and you need lighter ones. Some will be single layered fabric and others will be doubled for those chilly or wet days. I'm going to do squares using the width of the fabric as a guide since the kids are so young, I'm also embroidering their initials on them as well.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:30 PM

You can make a crib quilt just about any size you want since quilts or any other type of blankets are not supposed to be used in a crib anyway.