Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help please! Log Cabin >

Help please! Log Cabin

Help please! Log Cabin

Old 08-17-2014, 09:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by gram2five View Post
Thanks Prism and Maniac! These are more the ideas that I have been thinking about. In doing these quilting lines, does the rule of starting in the middle and working out hold true, or can I start at an edge and go across? I'm very new to machine quilting, so need all the help I can get.
Both! You do not start in the middle of the quilt. You start at the edge, but in the middle of the edge. So, you are sewing edge-to-edge; no thread ends to bury, as they will be buried inside the binding. For the photo you posted, I would start in the upper lefthand corner and sew to the lower righthand corner. You can choose how you work out each way from that middle line. One option is to simply sew the next line on each side and keep moving out until you are done. Another option would be to sew anchoring lines out from the middle, using the light/dark pattern edges as your anchoring lines, then fill in each section with additional lines.

Should mention also that, in addition to starch, spray basting helps a *lot* to keep all 3 layers in continuous contact with each other so there is no shifting as you quilt. Elmer's glue would be my second choice for the same reason. Both are better than pin basting or thread basting in terms of keeping layers from shifting. (For spray basting, 505 is better than other brands. With polyester batting, some basting sprays do not hold as well as 505.)
Old 08-17-2014, 11:35 AM

You could use monofilament that is invisible.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:39 AM

If you look in Judy Martin's Log Cabin book you will find lots of feathers stitched into the light sections and are stunning. The concept of varigated thread would certainly be interesting because it would blend differently into the lights and darks sections.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:14 AM

Your quilt is just lovely! I love the easy suggestions for quilting since it sounds like you are just discovering the fun of doing FMQ! Before you know it, you will find yourself exploring more designs later. As for thread, experiment by unrolling some spools of thread on the top and see what grabs your attention and what looks good to you. This tip was passed to me by a very nice quilt store owner. Try a neutral such as a light silvery gray. Or a variegated thread with the different shades softly blending together? Light colored or medium colored variegated thread is another option. It will be fun to see what you decide to do with your log cabin quilt!
Old 08-18-2014, 05:46 AM

Lovely quilt! Here is an idea that I saved in my "Quilt Ideas" folder. I don't know where I found it (if I did, I would give credit), but it is another idea for you. Straight quilting, but different.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]488085[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails log-cabin-diamond-quilting.jpg  
Old 08-18-2014, 07:18 AM

If you could find a verigated purple it would look fabulous on this pretty quilt.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:14 AM

I'd tend to go with a variegated purple, and use a meandering stitch. Loops are also fun and would work, IMHO, on this gorgeous quilt.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:52 AM

love Maniac's idea and also the suggestion to use variegated thread. It's gonna be gorgeous!
Old 08-18-2014, 09:17 AM

Thanks for all the ideas and encouragement! The quilt is sandwiched and pin basted, but seems a bit "floppy" to me. May take it apart and starch the heck out of it and try the glue basting. I like the idea of the variegated purple or grey for the quilting.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:21 PM
Power Poster

I am afraid I don't have any quilting ideas for you, however, I do have to tell you that it is a gorgeous quilt, love the colors, as purple is one of my favorite colors. I would,however, suggest using a variegated purple thread for quilting.