Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help, Please ... Re; Hand quilting thread

I've been hand quilting (mostly on the same quilt) for over a decade using off-white hand quilting thread. I am now starting to hand quilt a design in each of the 100 blocks of another quilt. I want to use red thread, but the thread I am using is #50 ... machine quilting thread ... and I'm not at all happy with it. I have half of the first block done and need to quit using it now if it's going to be a waste of my time and effort.

Does anyone know if there's somewhere I can purchase proper hand quilting thread in a variety of colors?

Blog Entries
    I did a search on this site and there were several suggestions. Might check it out.

JLD
    I bought different colors of hand quilting thread at JoAnns. Hope that helps.

Power Poster
    I'm a paranoid sort -

If you find red quilting thread - do a sample on a scrap and wash it and see what happens.

Blog Entries

When I started hand quilting I had a problem getting colored thread. I used embroidrey floss (you know the 6 thread skeins). I used 3 strands and 20 years later the quilting is still the same.

Quote Originally Posted by ann clare
    When I started hand quilting I had a problem getting colored thread. I used embroidrey floss (you know the 6 thread skeins). I used 3 strands and 20 years later the quilting is still the same.
    Very interesting! I actually thought about doing that and wondered how that would work, but I'd really have to stock up as I own only 2 skeins of red. I'll probably order YLI from Red Rock; I've ordered from them in the past but I need to check out my local Joann's first to see what they have.

I haven't ordered from Red Rock, but I'm in love with the YLI hand quilting thread!! :D

Most Fabric stores have colors, JoAnns, Hancocks, Beverlys.
    The best colors are made by Gutermann, they carry it at JoAnns, I have red, hot pink, blue, etc. It is quilting thread, although I prefer Coats and Clarks quilting thread, but you will get more colors in Gutermann.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I am a handquilter too and love Gutermanns. I also have started using Arufil (sp) A little expensive but so nice to quilt with.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast