Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help please

Help please

My Singer Simple is giving me problems. It keeps wrapping thread around the bobbin casing. I've adjusted the tension on the top and bottom. Maybe I'm doing it wrong? I'm a beginning beginner so talk like I'm five please, lol.

I would try winding a new bobbin, make sure you are using the correct bobbin, make sure you are putting it in the right way. Others will give you more good suggestions. Good luck and keep us posted on what worked!!

How long have you had the machine? Could it be dirty inside where the bobbin is? I think trying to wind a now bobbin is a good one to try.
    enjoy your life...it's the only one you have!!!
    Heather

Blog Entries
    Sounds like the thread isn't coming off the bobbin correctly - and it is too late now , but I would never adjust the bobbin tension , that one can be very tricky to get back to where it should be

Wind a new bobbin , read the manual to make sure you have it coming off it correctly and through all the little nooks and crannies that bobbins have rethread the machine . Also when putting in the bobbin - clean the area really well , you never know when a thread has wondered away from sight I use Q tips to reach places I can't see
    To keep your mind fresh- learn one new thing a day !

Quote Originally Posted by shan70 View Post
    My Singer Simple is giving me problems. It keeps wrapping thread around the bobbin casing. I've adjusted the tension on the top and bottom. Maybe I'm doing it wrong? I'm a beginning beginner so talk like I'm five please, lol.
    The very last thing you should have done is adjust the bobbin tension. Chances are high you don't have it threaded right on the top. Unthread and start over making sure you don't miss any of the little loops in the thread path. One of the easiest ones to miss is the last one right above the needle.

I would also make sure that you bobbin when it is finished winding is nice tight and even. If it isn't wound correctly it could be the source of your problem.

To get your tension corrected move up or down using a practice piece before returning to your project.
    Vicki W

is it possible that you have the wrong bobbin? If you purchased extras, they look very similar, but they aren't.
    Also, another oops that many beginners are guilty of...threading the machine with the pressure foot down. That doesn't allow the thread to get into the tension assemble...it just sits on it. That can cause all kinds of issues in the bobbin case. So, always in the up/open position for threading.
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

All the above are great suggestions!!! To late now but if you are going to make adjustment in bobbin tension you can take a sharpe and make a tiny little dot where screw is so you can put it back to original setting if needed.

I used this idea after my DD brought her machine to my house one time too many cause it was broke and wouldn't sew. (the tension was off). Great idea and time saver.
    Vicki W

Blog Entries
    is it possible that you got thread jammed from not holding the thread ends when starting to sew? if that happened, it's possible that the bobbin casing or shuttle is not sitting correctly. make sure everything is sitting squarely in its proper place. ask me how i know
    Nancy in western NY

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast