Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help Please... thread in the back looks like a birdsnest >

Help Please... thread in the back looks like a birdsnest

Help Please... thread in the back looks like a birdsnest

Old 10-02-2014, 03:01 PM
Power Poster

Just popping in to say that free motion doesn't call for such small stitches. With practice you can control the size of the stitches. I'm still not perfect at it but my stitches are not tiny anymore.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:52 PM
Power Poster

This happened to me the other day and I had put a new spool of thread in the top of my Bernina. I just re threaded my Bernina again and everything was OK.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:09 PM

I had this problem, My machine guy said it was a bobbin issue. I ended up taking my machine in for a good cleaning and for him to check the tension.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:10 PM

For FMQ, unless you have a Bernina (& then I have no idea) you need to set the stitch length to 0. That isn't because you are using small stitches, it's because that allows you to control the stitch length. Getting a uniform stitch length is not easy. I have heard many quilt teachers say that it takes 8 hours to get the motion down. That sounds about right to me. You need to move through the machine at a relatively fast pace so you don't end up with teeny tiny stitches that are just pinpoints & those are even worse to try & pick out. However, if you move too quickly, you will get poorly formed stitches & overlapping thread.

FMQ is like riding a bike. You can learn to do it in about a day if you want to spend the whole day practicing. From there, you just get better & better. One other thing I would suggest is maybe picking a wavier stipple. Straight lines with a darning foot are REALLY difficult to manage. Since you have the space, maybe try shortening the U shape to 2". The shorter stipple is easier & more forgiving. If you haven't already checked out Leah Day's YouTube videos, I highly recommend them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFcIT...1F4B76430BB141

The only thing is that she now recommends marking your quilting lines, whereas a few years back when she recorded these videos, she did not. Hang in there & keep quilting! If you practice on some junk fabric, you won't need to rip out the stitching when it gets all messed up like that. Start by raising the Top Tension setting by 0.5 to 1 setting (keep increasing in 1/2 increments until the stitches are formed properly. Make sure you are using the correct foot for your machine -- it should be an open-toed darning foot. You also need to either lower your feed dogs, or if you can't, get a cover for them (you swap out the regular plate for one that only has the needle hole). If everything seems to be set-up correctly, just keep practicing. You'll get there in no time!

PS -- Having a pieced back does make FMQ more difficult. It adds friction to your quilt. Because of this, make sure that you have a nice flat surface to lay your quilt on (the machine bed is not nearly big enough). Once you get some hours in & see if you like it, there are other little notions you can try that may help, but for now most of them would just make things more confusing. Start with what you have, get the top tension right & then just keep working at it. FMQ is super fun, but it is a skill & you need to build that muscle memory before it will look right.

Best wishes!
Bree

Last edited by Bree123; 10-02-2014 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:18 PM

Well before I do anything else,I have to get the stitches out of the quilt..And it's hard to do with the small stitches.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:21 PM

Actually, it's the opposite. If there's a problem on the bottom, it generally comes from the upper thread tension. If there's a problem on the top, it generally comes from the bobbin. If it's nesting on the bottom, the thread usually isn't seated in the upper tension. Re-thread, with the presser foot up, so the tension disks are open. And make sure the tension dial didn't get knocked to 0 or 1.

Good Luck!

Last edited by quiltedsunshine; 10-02-2014 at 07:26 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:59 AM

I had the same problem. When I took it to the shop they said I should always have my presser foot up while I am threading it. Havn't had birds nests since.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:33 AM

Frustrating to have those birds' nests! Lots of good information in this thread...I will be saving it for future reference. Here's what I found out for myself....1) ALWAYS make sure the presser foot is down before starting the machine. 2) if using a DSM, check to see if the machine is threaded properly. For me, the thread once in a great moon slips out of the lever guide, and that causes a messy tangle of thread underneath. 3) both the bobbin thread and top thread should be held in place either by holding them in the back or using a little "leader" piece of cloth first before starting to sew on the project. Hope this helps.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:25 AM

I had a similar issue and it turned out my top thread had come out of one of the guides without me noticing. Seemed really insignificant but re-threading fixed the issue for me.

Of course, I didn't even NOTICE the problem until I'd quilted the ENTIRE quilt, and it was one I was rushing to get done in time to be a Christmas gift. Darn Murphy and his Laws!

Good luck with your nest removal...not envying you that job. Been there, done that!
Old 10-03-2014, 05:35 AM

I used to have the problem all the time until I bought those little silicon washers that you put under your bobbin. Since I put that in I've not gotten any bird nests at all.