Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with postage stamp quilt border >

Help with postage stamp quilt border

Help with postage stamp quilt border

Old 08-04-2011, 06:41 PM

I am making a postage stamp quilt and need help with the border. The squares are 1". I am making this quilt for a couch throw and would like to make the border approx. 6" wide. I was thinking about having a small blue 2" border around it first and then a larger white (eggshell) border around that. Really don't know what color to use since all of the squares have so many different colors. Help!!
Old 08-04-2011, 06:44 PM
Power Poster

Perhaps showing us the quilt might be a good help ....... we have no clue!
Old 08-04-2011, 06:44 PM

I like piano key borders. You can do 1 inch finished ( if your postage stamp square are that size) of the two colors ( blue and white) then do a 4 inch lenght finshed by 1 wide finshed width of the piano keys in the longer pieces, this would keep everything in the same scale. For the corners do a 4 x 4 square of the small postage stamp size.
Or you can do a first border of 1 inch white , do four wide of postage size squares and finish an outer border (same width of the white)of the blue.
I think its important to work within the scale of the squares. Trying to keep one of the dimensions of what ever you choose no wider than the original postage stamp.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:45 PM

show the quilt
Old 08-04-2011, 06:47 PM

I usually like to border my quilts with the darkest color on the outside....it sort of frames the quilt blocks....but obviously, there are no quilt police here so do what looks best with the blocks. The one thing I would recommend about the borders is to make sure that you cut them length of fabric instead of width of fabric because they're less stretchy. I think on a normal quilt it doesn't really matter but because your pieces are so small, I think you need the grain of the fabric to help you hold them steady.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:38 AM

I've decided to take this quilt "back to the drawing board" per say (ha ha). I had thought about adding a 6" border around the edge, but then thought I could just add another row of blocks along the side and at the bottom and then put a narrow binding around it. I'm thinking 7 squares across and 9 squares down. Originally it was 6 squares across and 8 squares down. So now I need to cut 540 more of the 1-1/2" squares (36 squares per block). It's a good thing I'm really enjoying working on this quilt or this might have been a major set back.

Anyway thank you all for all of your suggestions and ideas. Will keep you posted.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-236918.jpe