Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help With Pricing, Please!! >

Help With Pricing, Please!!

Help With Pricing, Please!!

Old 04-05-2010, 08:58 AM

Hello,

Due to the economy ( current job market) I have decided to try and make some extra house hold $$ through my crafting talent!
I am completly overwhelmed trying to search out pricing for piece work on the internet and would greatly apprieciatte all the advise and guidance the members here would be willing to offer me.
Also since I am not a profficant quilter at this time, I would like to "offer" a list to my customers as to where they can have their things completly finished.
I intend to start locally and as $$ allows work on my website and expand the business- so at that time I could provides links for the services there as for now I would just comprise a list for my customers use.
Please PM me with any information that you are willing to share with me on this subject.
I apologize if this IS NOT the proper place to post such a request but I didnt see any other options- (i didnt want to post this on the main page) and It most certainly pertains to business.
Thanks for your valuable time and awaited help! ~ Lee (sirstitchalot)
Old 04-05-2010, 09:24 AM

I'm not sure what you're selling - pieced tops?
I sell them at a penny a square inch, the same my longarmer gets for quilting them. Does that help?
Old 04-05-2010, 09:49 AM

I intend to allow my customers to design "thier own hierlooms"-colors,size,block patterns, layout- so they can have exactly what they want.
So it would be anything from a single block or wall quilt all the way up to a king size bed spread depending on the request. ~ Lee
Old 04-05-2010, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by purplemem
I'm not sure what you're selling - pieced tops?
I sell them at a penny a square inch, the same my longarmer gets for quilting them. Does that help?
It seems to me that .01 per inch could be cheap. Imagine doing a Mariner's Compass or similarly complex design, taking hours upon end to complete. I think you would be better off pricing by the completed piece rather than a standard measured size. i.e. I wouldn't touch a Mariner's Compass for less than $500.00, quilted.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:11 AM

exactly my point- i want to offer a competive price but I dont want to rip myself off either.
What is the reasonable compensation for time -as our craft IS VERY time intensive depending on the pattern e.g. the 'Mariners Compass, it can be REALLY time intensive.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:15 AM

I'm not a marketing expert, but the pricing has to be competitive and there has to be some demand for the service you are providing. I made the mistake of posting one of my baby quilts on ebay, and sold it for a whopping $10. I will not let that happen again.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by JackieG
I'm not a marketing expert, but the pricing has to be competitive and there has to be some demand for the service you are providing. I made the mistake of posting one of my baby quilts on ebay, and sold it for a whopping $10. I will not let that happen again.
I hear this type of thing alot- thats where I decided the' Design your' own concept might help eliminate some of that problem and also possibly a deposit to start an order even.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:34 AM

I would seriously consider a "restocking fee" if they want to return it. I have had people pick out the fabric and pattern and when it is done they say well, it isn't exactly what I wanted. Some people just cannot visualize things.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:32 AM

The only time I have allowed a customer design a quilt, she was here with me and she got the fabrics she wanted, and selected a pattern from a magazine. When I was done she had the quilt she wanted. Otherwise it becomes a headache, since her vision may not be your vision. Do you intend to have them send you fabrics to make it as well as backing and batting? Yes, even the batting matters, because they may have in mind a heavier quilt, or a softer one. The quilting design have to be discussed as well. Many people don't know what they want and those are the hardest ones to please. I had a woman who asked me for a quilt using a wolf panel in the center. When I was done she was happy, but when she went home she wanted to return it because it was a few inches shorter than she wanted. She asked for a quilt for queen size bed and that is exactly what I made. She was expecting for the quilt to be almost to the floor all the way around. I did not return her $ or took the quilt back, because by measurements I should her that she got what she ordered, but I know she will never ask me to make another quilt.

To avoid all those details I like to just make a quilt and sell it as it is. I have done quilting for someone else's finished top, but she told me exactly what she wanted. I finish my quilts and post them on my web site, or Etsy.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:47 PM
Power Poster

I would start with offering simple two color or scrappy completed quilts. If those sell then you know you have a market and always add more advanced patterns. It's more profitable in the long run to sell a lot of less expensive items then one high price item.
Tip: Donate one of the quilts to the local hospital children's ward and let the staff know you make them to sell too.