Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with Queen size sizing >

Help with Queen size sizing

Help with Queen size sizing

Old 10-09-2010, 09:23 PM

I have googled and googled and I keep finding so many answers. What size is a queen size quilt? This is what I got thus far :)

83x83, 91x115, 84x96, 90x108, 96x114 and the list continues.

What does everyone suggest as a nice size for a queen. I don't need a ton of overhang since I only have a full sized bed. But I would like the quilt to cover the hubby and I comfortably. Thanks :)
Old 10-09-2010, 09:36 PM

You probably see so many different sizes because they are taking into account different amounts of drop. I say measure your bed and add some drop to make the quilt look nice when you are not in it and then add additional inches so that you and hubby are comfortable.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:41 PM
e4

I don't find the published sizes very helpful at all. Usually they are longer than wide and I don't tuck them under the pillows and have a footboard so I want them wider (to drop down the sides) rather than longer. Since the quilt is for you, measure how wide and long the bed is, then add a foot or so to the length and a couple of feet to the width for body coverage when you are under it. If that is enough for overhang then you are good since you won't be under the quilt when it needs to hang over the sides or bottom. Don't worry about what length other people say - just use what is bet for your bed and style of living
Old 10-09-2010, 10:22 PM

thanks! sounds good :)
Old 10-10-2010, 12:35 AM

I made my queen square - 90x90 and wish I had made it longer and not so wide, but only because of MY situation with the footboard, etc. There are no rules. But the good thing about a square quilt is that it doesn't matter what end is up!
Old 10-10-2010, 01:34 AM
Power Poster

when i want a quilt to fit my bed i first measure the actual top of my mattress, then i measure the drop i want, i add 18" to the length for a pillow tuck. after making a couple quilts that were WAY HUGE i have got lots better at measureing. if i have a large center design when that part is done i lay it in the middle of the bed and then decide what i need to add around it to bring the quilt to the top of the bed size, then i go from there getting it the size i want. a queen size mattress is 60" x 80" that is just the top from one top edge across to the other top edge, the other measurements are including what ever drop the pattern designer came up with. a queen batt is 90" x 108...this is giving you a 10"+ drop on each side (you need a little extra all the way around before quilting) it is best to measure and make your quilt the size you want, not the size someone else made for 'their' bed.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:08 AM

There are many different sizes your quilt could be. The main difference would be the depth of your mattress itself.

Say a standard queen size mattress is 60x80. Now you need to add the depth of your mattress to both sides (my mattress is 15", so I have to add 30+60= 90 and then say add on how much below the mattress line I want it to hang. Say 3", so now I also have to add 6"+ 90"= 96" for a total width of 96". Anything smaller would not fit my beds width.

Then you need to remember to do the same for the length. So I already know my mattress is 80" so 80"+15"=95". Now that's fine if it goes flat on the bed with say pillow shams on top of it, but it you want it to go over your pillows you need to add say another 6"-8" (I'll use 6" here) to allow for the poof of the pillows, so now we're up to 101". Do you want to tuck it under your pillows add an additional amount of say 6-8". So now we're up to 107-109".

I guess what I'm trying to say is one size doesn't fit all. :-D
Old 10-10-2010, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
There are many different sizes your quilt could be. The main difference would be the depth of your mattress itself.

Say a standard queen size mattress is 60x80. Now you need to add the depth of your mattress to both sides (my mattress is 15", so I have to add 30+60= 90 and then say add on how much below the mattress line I want it to hang. Say 3", so now I also have to add 6"+ 90"= 96" for a total width of 96". Anything smaller would not fit my beds width.

Then you need to remember to do the same for the length. So I already know my mattress is 80" so 80"+15"=95". Now that's fine if it goes flat on the bed with say pillow shams on top of it, but it you want it to go over your pillows you need to add say another 6"-8" (I'll use 6" here) to allow for the poof of the pillows, so now we're up to 101". Do you want to tuck it under your pillows add an additional amount of say 6-8". So now we're up to 107-109".

I guess what I'm trying to say is one size doesn't fit all. :-D
Agreed. Applauded. In addition, the size of the person(s) sleeping under the quilt can be a factor if you know what makes them comfortable. Ask me how I know. :-)
My husbands feet are a size 14. He thinks he sleeps on his back and wants something light weight and long enough to cover his upturned feet and still drape over the end of the bed. (So I need more length.)
When he turns on his side he likes to cradle the covers under his chin. There goes some of one side :-) mine :-) . Add his span from shoulder to shoulder. :-) There goes some more of one side. :-) mine :-) .
Translation: Most of my quilts are made large enough to drape an inch or two over the top of the box springs.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:50 AM

And don't forget, when you quilt it takes up some of the inches! I had my queen size figured out exactly right for my bed , everything fell just where I wanted it. Quilted it(and not even a lot of quilting!) and now it is perfect for a full size. I'd like to know how you figure in extra for quilting take-up!
Old 10-11-2010, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by virtualbernie
You probably see so many different sizes because they are taking into account different amounts of drop. I say measure your bed and add some drop to make the quilt look nice when you are not in it and then add additional inches so that you and hubby are comfortable.

This is what I do. If you are setting up blocks and need borders, just add as much as needed for that desired overhang. When buying premeasured batting, the package showed 90"x108" for queen size, and warm and natural is 90" wide, by the yard. I concider this size when finishing a quilt.