Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Help quick!

Help quick!

OK so a few days ago I started a quilt for a local fundraiser- the quilt MUST BE DONE in the next 48 hours! I just sat down with it to put on the final border, back it and begin quilting when I noticed a 2 in TEAR on my inner border! I honestly don't have the time to rip out the border completely (or the fabric) does ANYONE know of a way to fix this and subtly? I want a good quilt to go out for this fundraiser, but if I can can't get past this then I won't be able to contribute at all! Please bear in mind that I am a newer quilter (within the last year) and terms will most likely need explanation. THANKS SO MUCH!

If these tears are just small you could use some fray check. Then quilt over those places. Oh I am so sorry this has happen to your quilt.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Blog Entries
    I would slip a piece of fusible underneath the tear and fuse it closed. You can also applique a small decorative piece on top of it (can do this even without fusing first). You can even applique a patch of the border fabric so it blends in. I'd just be sure to quilt over the patch.

Edit: If you have a two-sided fusible on hand, you could take a piece of scrap border fabric and fuse it underneath the tear. This would hold the edges together and would be very unnoticeable.

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    My dog and cats have torn my quilts before because I believe in using my quilts. I keep baggies of leftover material and blocks to fix them. I have even appliqued different designs over tears. Is that possible with yr quilt. Several people have shown quilts that have appliques over a log cabin or charm quilt. Just a thought! Sorry bout your quilt.

Power Poster
    Is it in an area you can add an appliqué? Is the quilt one you could sew a manufactured embroidered motif on? If you sew one embroidered patch on it helps disguise the fix if you scatter them around. Can you carefully pick out the stitching on the inner border and sew in a 6 inch new section of border? You would see the stitching joins but it would be less noticeable than a tear especially if you put quilting lines over the joining seams.

I'd pop an applique piece on it as well - either machine or hand. Yes, something purchased if you have the time or maybe just a square of fabric with a hand written note (just be careful of ink) about the fundraiser???? Best wishes; organization's name; congrats to the winner?

NJ Quilter that is a great idea! I even have some fabric that I generally for printing stuff like that on! Thanks so much you guys you really helped!

this may be a little late, but you could put your label over it.
    "perfection is the enemy of done."
    "the secret to having it all is knowing you already do."

I agree with Prism99. That has worked for me.
    Wayne & Gabriele, the married quilters.

I have cut tops accidently when cutting off stray threads......I applique a heart or flower over it with a pellon backing on the applique for strength.