Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: help with quilt block

help with quilt block

I've just purchased Darlene Zimmerman book and dvd (fresh from the clothesline) that was shown on sewing with nancy. There is a quilt i'm trying to do called best friend signature quilt. it makes a 6 1/2 inch square without sashing finished size of quilt is only 28x35. I would like to enlarge it to a 12 in square. I've enlarged blocks before and done well.. but this one is causing me pull my hair out i can't seem to get it correct...won't let me post the pic.. so the best way to describe it is..it makes the shape of a stop sign . 4 hst, on each corner, 1 solid block in center and 2 different strips sewn together like a fence rail block but only 2 fabrics. has anyone seen this block before in a larger size. and If so where. I will be glad to purchase it. Thank you for all your help.
    God Bless All
    Loretta

I'm going to assume that the block is finished at 6 inches. One way to do this is to make a 1 inch grid across the 6.5 inch block (I would do this on a copy). Then take a piece of paper that is at least 12 in by 12 in. Make the same grid but each block on the new grid should be 2 inch by 2 inch. Then copy the design over. Does this help? I couldn't find an image of google of the block.

remove the seam allowance measurement from the size of each piece, double the size-then add the seam allowance back on---an example-- if you want to double a piece that measures 1 1/2" x 4" you remove the seam allowance (1/2") so you have 1" x 3 1/2"...double these measurements---= 2" x 7"; add the seam allowance back on--= 2 1/2" x 7 1/2"
    works most of the time to increase the size for pieced blocks....if you don't remove the seam allowance before increasing the measurements don't come out right (you would have 3"x8"- using the above example- your pieces would be too big to make the block- things would not measure right)
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

thank you all for responding..easy peezy it's like the shoofly instead of solid its to strips together..and ck that sound correct.i will try that..again thank you have a blessed day