Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help - Is this quilt layout working???

Help - Is this quilt layout working???

Hi

I have made this quilt using the Amy Butler Hexagon free pattern and the Cake Rock Beach fabric but now that I have sewn some of it together I'm not sure it looks right. I've tried putting it away in the cupboard for a few months to see if I like it any better when I got it out again but sadly the answer is not really.

I can't decide if it is the layout that is wrong, if I need to introduce a couple of new hexagons in different fabric, or if I should put white border between the hexagons. I would love to hear what others think - should I have courage and carry on or does it need some adjustment.

Sorry the picture isn't great, I took it on my phone and its a horrible day outside and the quilt top is rather wrinkly!

Thanks
    Yvie
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Senior Member Blue's quilting mama's Avatar
    Sorry you don't like it. I do like it...Maybe add some borders in a contrasting color. I did a quilt once that the center was way too busy, pretty though, but it all worked together when I added the borders.

Blog Entries
    I happen to like it as you are doing it. just finish it and then see if it needs a border. i wouldn't unsew it at all myself.

Blog Entries
    It is looking good. The polka dots are giving it it's pop. As the other's said, keep working it and I bet you will like it once it's all together.
    Traveler53

So Much Fabric, So Little Time

I like this alot! The only thing I think I would change around? the two hexagons in the upper right corner. I don't like it when two of the same color match up. Maybe just making a new hex for that spot? a solid border might help too. Try laying it down on a solid sheet and see if that helps?
    Beth in AZ
    www.bzyqltr.blogspot.com
    Innova 22' with Lightning Stitch and Pantovision
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

I think its awesome. Keep going!!
    SUEB

Sometimes when I don't like a quilt

A) I leave it hidden for years
    B) I give to some one who loves it to finish
    C) I experiment with the wack it into various bits at odd angles of black zinger strips. In the case of this one yellow could work or orange. Something a bit out of the ordinary.

attached is 1 example
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Power Poster
    I like it! It would probably help for you to get it up on a wall where you can see it from further away. If you don't have a design wall, you can pin it to your curtains or stick pins behind the door molding on a doorway etc...

I agree about swapping those two hexagons. I do like it - the fabric choice is a very cool one and there is good contrast overall. I say put your chin down and keep going. Sometimes the most difficult quilts become the ones we cherish the most. (Or, at the very least, relish giving away haha!)
    Sheila N.

When Thomas Edison invented the light bulb, he tried over 2000 experiments before he got it to work. A young reporter asked him how it felt to fail so many times. He said, "I never failed once. I invented the light bulb. It just happened to be a 2000 step process."

I like it! The only thing is to make sure that none of the same colors are touching. Only take out those blocks that have the same color (like blue or white) touching, then keep going. It'll be lovely!
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast