Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with quilt top on shaggy fleece backing >

Help with quilt top on shaggy fleece backing

Help with quilt top on shaggy fleece backing

Old 05-16-2015, 06:14 AM

Default Help with quilt top on shaggy fleece backing

Hi,
My DIL wants a quilt top with a shaggy fleece backing but I'm not really sure how to sew the quilt top to the shaggy fabric. Also, i'm not sure what to do with the quilt top either!...if I should quilt (the quilt top) to some flannel first then birth it with the shaggy fleece... since the fleece is so heavy (skip using batting and use flannel)? I was thinking of doing just that and just tack the flannel backed quilted top... to the shaggy fabric at intervals...after birthing it. Quilting the top to the shaggy fabric is not an option since its so hairy; the quilting will mash it into oblivion.

I made a shaggy fleece throw for my daughter but I used an embroidered, lightly sequined fabric and just tacked it together at intervals after birthing it...it turned out fabulous but I'm dragging my feet using a pieced quilt top.

It not really fleece and is very HEAVY. It looks something like this but even heavier:

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/...fleece-290619/

If anyone has any other ideas or advice I will surely appreciate it!

This is going to be one heavy quilt but this is what she wants.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:39 AM
Power Poster

I would layer it and tie it at 4-6 inch intervals - and then bind it the usual way. If really heavy, then skip the batting.

I would also consider quilting the pieced top to a piece of flannel like you mentioned.

I think it would be easier than trying to wrestle it using the birthing method. Another reason I would not use this method would be because of the bulk in the corners.

Then I would put a binding on it that would finish at about 1/2 inch (I would cut the binding fabric about three inches wide) - I would sew it on the curly side first, and top stitch it down on the front.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:13 AM
Power Poster

I agree with her. If you do the birthing method I would start some stretching exercises because birthing a quilt is no easy task. A large one would probably be like preparing for the Olympics.
Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I would layer it and tie it at 4-6 inch intervals - and then bind it the usual way. If really heavy, then skip the batting.

I would also consider quilting the pieced top to a piece of flannel like you mentioned.

I think it would be easier than trying to wrestle it using the birthing method. Another reason I would not use this method would be because of the bulk in the corners.

Then I would put a binding on it that would finish at about 1/2 inch (I would cut the binding fabric about three inches wide) - I would sew it on the curly side first, and top stitch it down on the front.
Old 05-17-2015, 04:10 AM

Thank you bearisgray and tessagin for your input! Excellent advice!!! I hadn't thought about bulk or a wrestling match so I will bind it with a wider than normal binding...and start on the curly side.
Old 05-17-2015, 04:29 AM
Power Poster

Also - Make a scrap sandwich to practice your binding width on - you might need to play with the seam width or the cut width to wrap the way you want it to.

I like to use bias cut binding because it snugs up so nicely -