HELP-Quilting 101

Old 11-21-2015, 05:21 PM

Question HELP-Quilting 101

Fabric-CHECK
Cutting Mat-CHECK
Ruler-CHECK
Rotary Cutter-CHECK
Sharp Cutting Blades-aaahhhh-sadly no check here

OK, ready to start my Christmas stocking today and low and behold, I had not one, not two but THREE dull rotary cutters! I should have thought of that when I decided to quilt again. My scissors worked fine but it sure was a lot more work. Luckily it is a small project!

Question 1:Is it cheaper to replace the blade or buy a new cutter? The cutters themselves are old but work fine. One is a no name, one a Fiskars and one a Olfa.

Question2:If the blades are more economical, how do I know what kind/size to get?

I will need to use my scissors for a while but would like to know this for when I can replace them.

Thanks for your help!

Louise
Old 11-21-2015, 05:38 PM

I buy multi-packs of blades. You will need to look at your rotary cutter to decide what to buy. You cannot switch sizes so you'll need to know whether you have an 18, 45 or 60mm cutter. If it is Fiskars, I'd use Fiskars blades. If it's an Olfa, Olfa blades. But that's just my personal opinion & experience. There are plenty of members here who have bought other blades & had good luck with them.

I buy the multipacks from Amazon -- 10 blades for $19.99 with free shipping for Prime members.

EDIT: I think the ones that are 10 for $20 are mislabeled. I posted a question, but unless I hear otherwise, I'd probably go with the ones that are 5 for $15 so I knew they were Olfa.
http://www.amazon.com/Olfa-Rotary-Bl...fa+45mm+blades

Also, I think the 3rd party brand that others here usually recommend is Improved Cut. They are half the price of Olfa on amazon.

Last edited by Bree123; 11-21-2015 at 05:50 PM.
Old 11-21-2015, 05:42 PM

Always buy blades when on sale or with coupon. There are 3 sizes but the 45 is most common. I buy the multi pack with 60% coupons. With Black Friday coming you may find some great deals. Welcome back to quilting
Old 11-21-2015, 06:13 PM

I think it is much less expensive to buy replacement blades. Like Bree, I buy them in packs of 5 or 10 blades, and I buy the same brand name blades as my cutter, Olfa in my case. Use a coupon or just whatch for a good price on eBay. With shipping, it seems they usually run $1.50-2.00 per blade. I think there are only three sizes as mentioned above.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:29 AM

If you are unsure of the size of your cutters, take them with you to the store. JoAnns carries a supply of both Fiskars and Olfa. I, too, would stick with the same brand blade as cutter. Not sure if there are proprietary mechanisms in either brand. I have an Olfa cutter. It's about 15 yrs old and I have no need to replace it...just the blades.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:29 AM

I used to buy replacement blades all the time. However, a couple of years ago I picked up a True Sharp Sharpener which is very easy to use and puts an amazing sharpened edge on the blades. Way less expensive than buying new blades all the time.

http://www.joann.com/true-sharp-sharpener/11491164.html

Lynda
Old 11-22-2015, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

You could take a cutter to the fabric shop and they will know what size it takes. I do believe that blades are cheaper than a new cutter.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:37 AM

Currently they are on sale at Jo Ann's (Ending Sunday Nov 22) for 50% off. Then you can use the 20% off your entire purchase coupon. I'm pleased I could go this weekend and stock up on blades.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:07 AM

buy blades in multi packs. If you have a 50% coupon, buy at Joanns. If not, buy on amazon. Beware of some outrageously good deal - probably not good quality and will dull quickly. As with scissors, if you are cutting fleece, the blade will dull quicker. I have never had a problem using any brand in either cutter. You probably have a 45 (the most common for beginners). As an FYI, the smaller ones are used for cutting curves and smaller areas and the very large are easier when cutting lots of long cuts (bigger wheel, less turning). But you are fine with using a 45 for a long time!
Old 11-22-2015, 09:16 AM
Power Poster

Never pass up a great sale on rotary blades or cutter if you need them now or not. They will only keep going up in price and probably won't be on sale when you need one.