Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Help for Quilting a small block.

I have a “7 sisters” block, each stars makes 3 ½”; each diamond's side: 1”. So quilting through the 3 layers of fabric makes the stitches too long or I can’t go through the 3 layers. Should I quilt ¼” away …but that makes the centre of the diamond too small.
    Any advice?
    Thank you!
    Patricia
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Assuming you are hand quilting. I can't get through that many layers without stab stitching or taking one stitch at a time with a back stitch.

Another option is do the 1/4" away but not in every diamond, just inside the peremeter of each star and again around the outside edge and on the middle white diamonds I would have to think about it after getting the other parts quilted. The center whites that form that snowflake shape may need no quilting at all.

PS your block is beautiful and impeccably pieced. Is this for a QAYG project?

Hello feline fanatic,

Thank you for your comments! Yes, I normally do hand quilting, so one stitch at the time would be the answer. What is ‘stab stitching?’
    The block was just ‘trying a new block’; I love stars and because I didn’t know what to do after finishing, I decided to make a little quilt, like a doll quilt.
    What is a QAYG?

Thanks again
    Patricia

Stab stitching is when you insert needle straight down to the backing and pull it all the way through, then straigt up. I guess kind of like needlepoint? The problem with stab stitching is it doesn't make for a very attractive back, the stitches tend to be out of alignment. Some are quite good at it though. I only do it shen I can't get through all the layers with a normal quilt running stitch.

QAYG is "Quilt As You Go". A process where each individual block is quilted then joined together into a big quilt using sashing.

ok, I see. I'm not good on stab stitching, I have to look on the 'other side' te be on the good line :(

Thank you. I have some problems translating Capital letters :)

Patricia

Power Poster
    I think that I would consider going straight through the center of each diamond instead. You would end up with a diamond crosshatch design but I think it would blend in well from a distance and not take away from your great patchwork design.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan
    I think that I would consider going straight through the center of each diamond instead. You would end up with a diamond crosshatch design but I think it would blend in well from a distance and not take away from your great patchwork design.
    Exactly what I was thinking :thumbup:

Nice possibility!
    Thanks

Patricia

Blog Entries
    Beautiful Block. BrendaK

Hello,Today I finished my small block: 7 Sisters.
    Thank you for your help!
    Patricia
    Attached Images Attached Images