Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Help In Re-Sizing A Block

  1. #1
    Senior Member onaemtnest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Rocky Mountains of Idaho
    Posts
    975

    Help In Re-Sizing A Block

    I'm hoping that someone might be able to help with a pattern that is posted on Quilter's Cache. It makes a 14" block and I'd like to make a smaller block maybe 8" or 10". I'm terrible at math and wondered if someone with a quilt software program might be able to figure how to make the block smaller....Maybe it's not a good idea to re-size this block and I'm open to opinions.

    The block is called Tea Rose....
    http://www.quilterscache.com/T/TeaRoseBlock.html I'm generally not a fan of large blocks and like I said before it may not translate well by re-sizing it.

    Attachment 353724
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-06-2012 at 04:20 AM. Reason: remove copyright image
    Smiles from Idaho,
    Onalee

    "What if you woke up today with only the things you had thanked God for yesterday?" ~ Michael Hyatt

  2. #2
    Super Member Scissor Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwest Kansas
    Posts
    4,759
    You can make it either 7 inches or 10.5 inches fairly easy. You'll be working with some fairly small pieces though. It's the size it is because it's 7 squares X 7 squares and at 2 inches finished per square that makes a 14 inch block. If you go down to 1.5 inch squares that'll make a 10.5 inch block and 1 inch finished squares that'll make a 7 inch block. The HST triangles are easy to do since you just add 1 inch to the finished size.

  3. #3
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    15,064
    Scissor Queen already said it.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    hiding in my quilting studio
    Posts
    99
    this is good information to know. so, sometimes, you have to pick the block to make your quilt come out to the size you need
    Cheryl, hiding away in my quilting studio

  5. #5
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,658
    Blog Entries
    1
    I have changed block sizes several times. What I do, is print out the pattern. Using the chart I have included here, find the % change you will need to make. Using a calculator, go through the block measurements and change each number to reflect that % change. This coincides with Scissor Queen's response. It is a matter of reducing or enlarging each part of the block to get to your end result measurement.
    Going from 14" block down to 10" block is simply reducing your measurements to 71% of each #. When I can square up, I try to make sure my measurements are a tad over what is called for.

    http://www.thequiltedsnail.com/scale.html

  6. #6
    Super Member GrannieAnnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    S. W. Indiana
    Posts
    7,183
    Quote Originally Posted by onaemtnest View Post
    I'm hoping that someone might be able to help with a pattern that is posted on Quilter's Cache. It makes a 14" block and I'd like to make a smaller block maybe 8" or 10". I'm terrible at math and wondered if someone with a quilt software program might be able to figure how to make the block smaller....Maybe it's not a good idea to re-size this block and I'm open to opinions.

    The block is called Tea Rose....
    http://www.quilterscache.com/T/TeaRoseBlock.html I'm generally not a fan of large blocks and like I said before it may not translate well by re-sizing it.

    Attachment 353724

    Do you realize if you make this block smaller you'll be working with pieces well under 2"? Easy enough to change to a 7" block by making each square within at 1" (cut 1.5") or a bit larger at 10.5 making each square within at 1.5" (cut2")
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

  7. #7
    Super Member GrannieAnnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    S. W. Indiana
    Posts
    7,183
    Quote Originally Posted by #1 AAA quilter View Post
    this is good information to know. so, sometimes, you have to pick the block to make your quilt come out to the size you need
    Pick any block---------------I can make it fit the finished size I want my quilt.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

  8. #8
    Senior Member onaemtnest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Rocky Mountains of Idaho
    Posts
    975
    [QUOTE=Scissor Queen;5419619]You can make it either 7 inches or 10.5 inches fairly easy. You'll be working with some fairly small pieces though. It's the size it is because it's 7 squares X 7 squares and at 2 inches finished per square that makes a 14 inch block. If you go down to 1.5 inch squares that'll make a 10.5 inch block and 1 inch finished squares that'll make a 7 inch block. The HST triangles are easy to do since you just add 1 inch to the finished size.[/QUOTE

    Thank-you Scissor Queen ~ I appreciate you explaining it to me...as I said math is NOT my strong point! Then why do I quilt???? :0)
    Smiles from Idaho,
    Onalee

    "What if you woke up today with only the things you had thanked God for yesterday?" ~ Michael Hyatt

  9. #9
    Senior Member onaemtnest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Rocky Mountains of Idaho
    Posts
    975
    Quote Originally Posted by NanaCsews2 View Post
    I have changed block sizes several times. What I do, is print out the pattern. Using the chart I have included here, find the % change you will need to make. Using a calculator, go through the block measurements and change each number to reflect that % change. This coincides with Scissor Queen's response. It is a matter of reducing or enlarging each part of the block to get to your end result measurement.
    Going from 14" block down to 10" block is simply reducing your measurements to 71% of each #. When I can square up, I try to make sure my measurements are a tad over what is called for.

    http://www.thequiltedsnail.com/scale.html
    Good Heavens! What a GREAT chart! I'm laminating this chart for future reference....Thank-you so much for offering this link NanaCSews2


    Smiles from Idaho,
    Onalee

    "What if you woke up today with only the things you had thanked God for yesterday?" ~ Michael Hyatt

  10. #10
    Senior Member onaemtnest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Rocky Mountains of Idaho
    Posts
    975
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
    Do you realize if you make this block smaller you'll be working with pieces well under 2"? Easy enough to change to a 7" block by making each square within at 1" (cut 1.5") or a bit larger at 10.5 making each square within at 1.5" (cut2")
    Do you realize if you make this block smaller you'll be working with pieces well under 2"?

    Well I certainly do now! :0) Thanks to all the non-challenged math whiz's that have replied to my request! :0) Thank-you for your time in reply and helping me make the decision on this block!
    Smiles from Idaho,
    Onalee

    "What if you woke up today with only the things you had thanked God for yesterday?" ~ Michael Hyatt

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.