Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with RED Fabric >

Help with RED Fabric

Help with RED Fabric

Old 01-14-2014, 04:14 AM

Default Help with RED Fabric

So I am making a red quilt with white snowflake blocks.I washed and dried the fabric seperately before I started. Over the course of putting it together. I noticed that the red dye from the quilt is rubbing off on my hands and such. (I have a disability and I use the walls to keep my balence while walking it my house. The walls of my sewing room now have red finger marks on them; and I knelt o to last night while laying it out to take a picture and my knees came away pink.) It has not bled at all during pressing, but I am pretty sure that washing it will be a disaster. Help! What do I do?
Old 01-14-2014, 04:18 AM

I had a green like that once. Seemed fine after prewashing but I had green fingers any time I worked with that quilt. Washed with color catchers countless times and there was still dye coming from that fabric. Finally gifted it with a box of color catchers and instructions to ALWAYS use them.

Since then, on here, I've learned of Synthropol (sp). I've not used it but I would suggest doing a search here on the board for more info. If I'm correct, it suspends the loose dye so it does not migrate to the other fabrics.

Good luck.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:27 AM

That notorious Red. I had one that constantly bled, unfortunately I couldn't use mine. It was before I had heard of Synthropol. I just used Blue Dawn. I had to take mine out totally. Hopefully, synthropol will work for you.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:14 AM

Is the word for that crocking...where even after washing the color rubs off....someone has talked about that....test is to
rub dry fabric against another to see if any comes off...seems that is what is happening to this red....how discouraging....can't remember if there is a solution...sure someone here will know
Old 01-14-2014, 06:13 AM

You might try washing the quilt a few times with COLOR CATCHERS in the wash. You can find them in the laundry section. Hopefully these will help. Yes, the term for dye that rubs off is CROCKING. No idea where that term came from. I am an avid prewasher and I use EPSOM SALTS in the wash. This really helps with difficult fabrics. If I have a fabric that I question to be difficult, I wash the fabric with EPSOM SALTS in the wash. BEFORE putting the fabric in the dryer I cut a small piece of the fabric and let it soak in a glass of hot water with DAWN liquid for about 30 minutes. If I still have dye in the water I wash again with some DAWN and EPSOM SALTS. Then I repeat my test. After the second test I decide if I want to continue with that fabric or not.
If the name of the manufacturer is on the selvedge I contact them about the fabric. Some manufacturers will replace the fabric or send you a certificate to purchase more fabric. If I am a good customer of the quilt shop where I bought the fabric I will contact them with the problem. The quilt shop is appreciative of feedback about fabrics and are usually more than willing to help with some kind of replacement.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:16 AM
Power Poster

Also, wash the quilt in as much water as possible. I would go to a Laundromat for this one. You want lots of water to carry the excess dye away.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

This is always a good courtesy to let the shop where you bought the fabric know about the situation with the fabric. One shop I go to periodically took a few bolts of fabric off their shelves because the dye was rubbing onto fabric next to it. I don't remember the line but that shop gave customers their choice of money back or store credit. Many went with store credit. The shop doesn't carry that line anymore. There are some Batiks it won't carry either because of a heavy "crocking problem.
Originally Posted by crashnquilt View Post
You might try washing the quilt a few times with COLOR CATCHERS in the wash. You can find them in the laundry section. Hopefully these will help. Yes, the term for dye that rubs off is CROCKING. No idea where that term came from. I am an avid prewasher and I use EPSOM SALTS in the wash. This really helps with difficult fabrics. If I have a fabric that I question to be difficult, I wash the fabric with EPSOM SALTS in the wash. BEFORE putting the fabric in the dryer I cut a small piece of the fabric and let it soak in a glass of hot water with DAWN liquid for about 30 minutes. If I still have dye in the water I wash again with some DAWN and EPSOM SALTS. Then I repeat my test. After the second test I decide if I want to continue with that fabric or not.
If the name of the manufacturer is on the selvedge I contact them about the fabric. Some manufacturers will replace the fabric or send you a certificate to purchase more fabric. If I am a good customer of the quilt shop where I bought the fabric I will contact them with the problem. The quilt shop is appreciative of feedback about fabrics and are usually more than willing to help with some kind of replacement.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:29 AM
Power Poster

If you already have the white snowflakes attached, there isn't a whole lot you can do to guarantee no bleeding when washed. Synthrapol in the wash water is supposed to suspend loose dye in the water but it needs to be used with hot water.
I would make a red and snowflake quilted block and give it a try in the wash. If it is a disaster even with the Synthrapol and colour catchers, I wouldn't waste any more time on the quilt. Wish I had better advice but some fabrics never stop bleeding or crocking.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:17 AM

What about trying Retayne? I've haven't tried it yet, but I've seen it mentioned in quilting forums lots. http://www.joann.com/retayne-color-f...e/2181311.html
Old 01-14-2014, 08:16 AM

My mom had a red and white that bled - she did wash it and when the fabric came out it was red and pink. She washed and dried it about 4 times with color catchers and then it was red & white again.