Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help requested >

Help requested

Help requested

Old 02-17-2015, 06:04 PM

Thank you for coming back to me, Woody! I feel a lot more confident about my ability to be successful in my endeavor now. This special quilt is for my grandson, so I definately want to make it as special as I can. Thank you again, Kim
Old 02-17-2015, 06:08 PM

Thank you Jeanne, for sharing your expertise! It makes sense and somehow doesn't seem so scary when someone else says it's possible. I'll be sure to share a picture when it's done. And maybe along the way I'll touch base for additional assistance. I was pleasantly surprised by all the support I received. Thank you, Kim
Old 02-17-2015, 06:15 PM

Thank you for all the tips, Snooze2978! I'm not a real quick worker, but my work is the best I can do. My first quilt was a series of squares with a multi-colored small block strip over the top of each square. Each vertical row was off-set to the next row and I thought that was challenging. My second quilt was a series of large and small circles within squares, called "Dancing Rainbows" for my daughter and she loved it. I have almost exclusively worked in bright, bold batiks. They are so beautiful. I hope to learn and share on the quilter's board. Thanks for sharing with me, Kim
Old 02-17-2015, 06:18 PM

Thank you for responding to my thread! I will try to have fun making it. Sometimes, I feel so slow, I get in a hurry to produce. Then I find I err. Better to go slow and sure I guess. Thanks for your input! Kim
Old 02-18-2015, 03:46 AM

The most important step when you are attaching borders is to measure acoss the quilt in the centre and down the quilt in the centre and take these two measurements as the lengths you will cut the side and end borders to. Do not just add lengths of material to the sides and then Cut them off or your quilt will not be square. Pin the borders onto the sides of your quilt and eas in any fullness that you may have on any side. All thebest with your project.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
If I am understanding you correctly, you do not have a problem. Just continue on.

Where you may run into a problem, though, is with lining up the blocks. To avoid wonkiness, this is what I do. After adding a long sashing strip to the bottom of the first row, I turn the piece over and use a ruler and pencil to mark the block seam lines through the sashing. This creates "virtual" seams in the sashing strip. When adding the next row of blocks, I pin the actual seams to the virtual seams and ease or stretch as necessary to get those seams to match. Doing this ensures that the blocks line up when you are done.
One other option, you may consider, is cornerstones of the same fabric, to help line up your squares. I do love cornerstones, usually using the fabric from the blocks for interest.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:27 AM

Can you show us a picture, we would love to see it
Old 02-18-2015, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
I find if I starch my fabrics prior to cutting, I don't seam to have a problem. Also helps with the stretching of the fabrics when pressing. I never had a problem with cutting the sashing on the cross-grain.
I have started doing this and love the results.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
If I am understanding you correctly, you do not have a problem. Just continue on.

Where you may run into a problem, though, is with lining up the blocks. To avoid wonkiness, this is what I do. After adding a long sashing strip to the bottom of the first row, I turn the piece over and use a ruler and pencil to mark the block seam lines through the sashing. This creates "virtual" seams in the sashing strip. When adding the next row of blocks, I pin the actual seams to the virtual seams and ease or stretch as necessary to get those seams to match. Doing this ensures that the blocks line up when you are done.

Yep, this is what I do, too. I learned this the hard way when making an attic window quilt. I couldn't get all the "window" frames to line up, until I discovered marking the sashing.