Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with ruler slipping >

Help with ruler slipping

Help with ruler slipping

Old 07-04-2011, 07:56 PM

I am having trouble with the ruler slipping on me when I cut strips or squares.

I have tried to use the dots to help them from slipping, but they haven't helped.

Could I be holding the ruler down to hard?
Old 07-04-2011, 07:59 PM

Skowron, what kind of dots are you using? I bought the self sticking sandpaper ones at walmart that have adhesive on them. They are in the hardware dept. They work fine for me? Hope this helps you...If it's slipping you might not be holding your cutter correctly or not putting enough pressure on the ruler as you are cutting. Happy Stitchin' crafty_linda_b
Old 07-04-2011, 07:59 PM

are u doing the spider when you hol your ruler move your fingers as you cut
Old 07-04-2011, 08:03 PM

I am doing the spider. I experimented on a log cabin today. I measured each time I added a strip. When I got done I was 1/4 of an inch off.

I got the dots at a quilt store. They are green. I will check Walmart and try those.

Thanks ladies
Old 07-04-2011, 08:07 PM

There was a post here recently that said to brush rubber cement on your rulers to keep them from slipping. Just a thought.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:09 PM

I use True Grips made by the Grace Company. I have used the sand paper dots and they work fine but the True Grips are better! They come on a card with pre cut circles and I even cut up the leftover pieces and use them too! They are a little more expensive than the sandpaper but I think they are worth it.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:18 PM

I have Invisagrip on most of my rulers and like it. I was using one that was missing when I applied the Invisagrip. I tried the rubber cement. It does work, but it's not as clear Invisagrip, and for a few days, it collected thread bits. Looked pretty messy. It seems to do that less now.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:30 PM

OK - here is a tip I got from a longarmer at Machine Quilters Expo - Go out and purchase old fashion Rubber Cement. It is clear, non-slip and when it looks yucky - all you need to do is rub it off and reapply. I let is sit overnight before I use a ruler after applying it. I also have tried the clear rubber grippies and sandpaper stuff - nothing compares to the Rubber Cement. It is flat and clear - oh by the way did I include cheap?? lol.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by eparys
OK - here is a tip I got from a longarmer at Machine Quilters Expo - Go out and purchase old fashion Rubber Cement. It is clear, non-slip and when it looks yucky - all you need to do is rub it off and reapply. I let is sit overnight before I use a ruler after applying it. I also have tried the clear rubber grippies and sandpaper stuff - nothing compares to the Rubber Cement. It is flat and clear - oh by the way did I include cheap?? lol.
I have heard this, but have not tried it....
Old 07-04-2011, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by deenatoo
Originally Posted by eparys
I have heard this, but have not tried it....
Works Great!!