Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
help with seams showing >

help with seams showing

help with seams showing

Old 08-29-2012, 10:54 AM

Default help with seams showing

I'm making a single Irish chain and I'm having a problem with after pressing, the color squares showing through to the white one, I know from watching Jenny on the Missiour star quilt company videos that you always press to the dark side. But what happens when this can not be done, I am really trying to sew so both fabric line up but some is just a tiny bit over...like a few dark threads. and this shows like a dark line when you look from the front.. I'm sure no one would see this but to me it sticks out so much. I don't like it....is there anyway other then trimming the sean off?

this is a picture I only have 3 rows sewed so far and I thought that I would ask and see if anyone has a fix from this problem. beside trimming each seam..you really can't see the dark line in the picture but take my word ..it is there, but you can see what I was talking about as far as the pressing goes.. Thanks so much

I'm not liking the colors my friend picked out , to me it is going to be to much white ..what do you think...
Attached Thumbnails img_0856.jpg  

Last edited by quiltlady1941; 08-29-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:14 AM
Power Poster

Put a piece of batting and backing behind the piece to show you how it would look when the whole quilt is assembled. It may not bother you then. We tend to look so closely at our work when we piece it that we lose sight of the bigger picture. I can't see it in the picture and the picture seems clear.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:15 AM

I think when you get the WHITE batting behind the top you will find the the sems will not show as much, having dark behind it makes it stand out more. the other suggestion is to show it to the person you are making it for and see if they like as is, of course all the time not telling them what you think the problem is. JMHO
Old 08-29-2012, 11:21 AM

I've done quilts like this where the seam allowances show through. It is not nearly as noticeable once there is batting and backing and its quilted.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by quiltlady1941 View Post
I'm making a single Irish chain and I'm having a problem with after pressing, the color squares showing through to the white one, I know from watching Jenny on the Missiour star quilt company videos that you always press to the dark side. But what happens when this can not be done, I am really trying to sew so both fabric line up but some is just a tiny bit over...like a few dark threads. and this shows like a dark line when you look from the front.. I'm sure no one would see this but to me it sticks out so much. I don't like it....is there anyway other then trimming the sean off?

this is a picture I only have 3 rows sewed so far and I thought that I would ask and see if anyone has a fix from this problem. beside trimming each seam..you really can't see the dark line in the picture but take my word ..it is there, but you can see what I was talking about as far as the pressing goes.. Thanks so much

I'm not liking the colors my friend picked out , to me it is going to be to much white ..what do you think...
To me it's too much blue. Once you put batting and backing on it the seams probably won't show at all. You can tone down the white by using a blue thread when you quilt it.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:09 PM

I am probably the only one but I rarely use light fabric because I don't like seeing the seems showing through. Just a quirk of mine. I know many quilts would not have been made in the past if everyone felt that way, but on mine I don't like to work with that.

Many quilts have been made with a lot of white in them, when done it will look nice with just the two.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:18 PM
QM
Power Poster

For my taste also, that is way too much white, but it should make a fine quilt. Do check it with batting, which will change how things look. Sometimes when I am concerned about a darker fabric showing through, I clip the seam allowance close to the cross seam and turn it back the other way. I learned this in tailoring. The top as you made it is a very traditional one. BTW, I agree about the quilting. I would do it in blue or mixed blues, but what matters is what your friend wants.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:26 PM

I'm not so concerned with the seams showing,I know after the batting is on they will not show as much ..what I am concerned about is the dark fabric showing on the edge of the seam when it is pressed over onto the white fabric, making it look like a dark line... I tried to really watch when I an sewing the two fabric together to make sure they do not over lap,but it is really hard and in some places the dark fabric shows up as a dark line and it is just a few tiny threads of dark fabric but still make a dark line..

What I have been doing is to cut a tiny bit off the seam before I press it over onto the white fabric and that is working but thought that there may be some other way to prevent this from happening...or maybe I was doing something wrong when I sewed the two fabric together..

I know now why I don't like a lot of white white fabric in my quilts..LOL..but this is the fabric she picked out right down to the pattern she wanted...don't you just hate when making something for someone, you find you don't really like it....oh well I will keep going and maybe it will look better after it is all done and quilted..thanks for your in put on this problem..
Old 08-29-2012, 01:05 PM

Yep, lots of white there. How will you quilt it...SID, FM?
Old 08-29-2012, 01:18 PM
Power Poster

I'm starting to not like much white in my quilts. I like the off white better. If you notice, even the white seams show through the white squares. If that is what she wants, I would just finish it up abd not worry about it. It is what it is. I'm sure you will be more pleased with it once its done.