Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with sewing rows of squares >

Help with sewing rows of squares

Help with sewing rows of squares

Old 03-12-2014, 12:36 PM

Default Help with sewing rows of squares

Hi everyone-
I am going to attempt to make a baby quilt from onesies. I've seen a design that has different sized squares/rectanges in rows like the attached picture. Question--how do you sew the row across if you run into a rectangle that hangs below your seam line for your other blocks? Do you pivot and sew down the little part hanging down? Does that make sense? I'd like different sized squares and rectangles but I don't care that the squares don't line up with the row that is sewed on beneath it. Suggestions? Thanks!
It's like in the picture where the ruffles are sewn on. I can sew across the row on the bottom of the ruffles but then I run into the pink rectangle.
Attached Thumbnails baby_clothes_quilt.jpg  
Old 03-12-2014, 12:49 PM
Power Poster

In the photo, looks like the right part was sewn as a strip running from bottom to top -- the last seam sewn.

It really doesn't matter how you do it. I would sew sections, then sew sections together. If something doesn't line up, I would just leave a few inches of that seam loose so I could add another section on later. You can always go back and finish seams; they won't show on the front.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:07 PM

Like a t-shirt quilt, you may end up sewing a few partial seams if you can't figure out a way to piece it together in "chunks". As Prism said, it looks like the pieces to the far right side are pieced together first, then added to the rest of the quilt.

When you decide on a final design, try to draw a square or rectangle easily around as many blocks as possible before having to sew any partial seams.

Don't forget to use a fusible interfacing with those onesies. You are basically making a smaller version of a t-shirt quilt. Each of those blocks need to be stabilized so they are easier to work with.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:29 PM

I don't know but it looks like a very cute project. Good luck
Old 03-13-2014, 05:41 AM

Thanks so much for the replies! Great advice!
Old 03-13-2014, 06:29 AM

I agree with Prism it looks like the top is pieced together in varying sizes of sections (not blocks which are usually uniform in size. So just sew 2-6 squares together to make a section then join the sections together in the pattern you want. Your challenge will be to add strips or rectangles to your sections to have sections of equal length to sew together. But this is a scrappy design so you don't have any seams to match so just have fun with it!