Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help - Size Blocks and how many ??? >

Help - Size Blocks and how many ???

Help - Size Blocks and how many ???

Old 09-10-2012, 06:14 PM

Krista, what size would I have to make the quilt panel where I could make 8 1/2 on-point unfinished blocks? The panel is directional so I can't turn it, it will only go one way. I am willing to do that immediately so I can get on with this quilt. I don't care if I have to make additional plain borders to reach 4 inches in from the top and sides to place the 2" white border all the way around. I am at the point I will do anything to make this work, it is driving me up the wall, but it is important I finish this quilt. Thanks for all your help - Bevster
Old 09-11-2012, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by bevster View Post
Krista, what size would I have to make the quilt panel where I could make 8 1/2 on-point unfinished blocks?
8 1/2" blocks (8" finished) means you will have 16" around the panel in borders. To reach 74x78, that means your panel needs to be 74-16=58 by 78-16=62

So, 58x62" finished (58.5x62.5 unfinished) panel should allow you to use 8.5" blocks all around.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:47 AM
Power Poster

Is there any flexibility in the size of the center rectangle?

If so, perhaps you could start from the outside edges and work in to the center?

If you start with a 'finished' size where length and width are easily divided by the same number, that would make the process easier.

Examples:
50 x 60 - both numbers evenly divisible by 2, 5, and 10
48 x 60 - both numbers evenly divisible by 2, 3, 4, 6, and 12
52 x 60 - both numbers evenly divisible by 2, and 4
51 x 60 - both numbers evenly divisible by 3

Could you put small borders around your center section to get it to a more accommodating size?
Old 09-11-2012, 04:11 AM
Power Poster

It might be helpful if you redrew the top - your scale is way off - 76 x 80 is almost square - and the drawing you have makes it look very rectangular.

And as someone has mentioned - where did you want the motif to 'hit' on the top of this mattress? What are you planning to do about the overhang? Will you make all four sides the same? Will this be a quilt that will go OVER the pillows, or will it be UNDER the pillows?

More questions:

You said you want 2.5 inch white borders - is this cut size or 'finished' size? and you want these borders to be in two inches from the edge of the mattress?
Old 09-21-2012, 11:16 AM

bearisgray.... Sorry for the mistakes on my drawing.
Thank you so very much for the info regarding "starting with a 'finished' size where length and width are easily divided by the same number". Now I have something to work with. The White border will FINISH at 2 inches and I want this border to go around the top of the mattress about 2 inches in before the 3 sides overhang off the bed. I don't want "pillow" length, so there will only be 3 sides to overhang. Yes, I can place small borders around the center rectangle, or since I have started over, I can make the center triangle any of the dimensions you mentioned above. I do not have the expertise to make a star block without a pattern, the one I have in mind that finishes at 6 inches, then I need to place it on point. I have no idea what it will finish after I sew on the fabric that will make it on-point, sad, isn't it. Based on what you are explaining (teaching) I need to determine just what size the center rectangle will be, I am leaning towards 48X60 using 6 inch finished on-point blocks. I know I will have to place some type of border on the top and bottom so the white border won't look like a square, like you said.