Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help - Size Blocks and how many ??? >

Help - Size Blocks and how many ???

Help - Size Blocks and how many ???

Old 09-07-2012, 01:28 PM

Default Help - Size Blocks and how many ???

I am making a a quilt that has a large block in the center, 52 x 60.5. I want to make a On-Point" blocks in the border. I would use the traditional method of placing setting triangles in the 4 corners to make the block on-point.

I want these on-point blocks placed all the way around the 52 x 60.5 center. After that, I want to place a 2 inch outer border JUST before the quilt drops off the sides of the bed, mattress top size is 76 x 80, so I figure this 2 inch border would need to be placed at the 74 X 78 mark.

Since I am not good with figuring this out, Would I need the blocks to be 6.5 inches to fit around the 52 x 60.5 large rectangle in the center? If so, would that be "cut" or "finished". IF NOT, what size blocks should I make and how many down/across? See attached diagram of what I am speaking of, I hope it make sense. You can reply in a private message if you would like.
Attached Thumbnails untitled.jpg  
Old 09-07-2012, 02:03 PM

[QUOTE=bevster;5497986] CHANGES - CHANGING WORDING OF MY QUESTION
I am making a a quilt that has a large block in the center, 52 x 60.5 unfinished, 51.5 X 60 finished. I want to make a On-Point" blocks in a border right next to the 62X60.5 unfinished large rectangle. I would use the traditional method of placing setting triangles in the 4 corners to make the block on-point.

I have no idea of how to figure what size blocks to make prior to sewing on the on-point triangles around the block, which make it On-Point. The center block is such an unusual size. The blocks would go all the way around the Center Rectangle. The blocks need to fit inside the 74X78 mark just prior to the drop off the sides of the bed, since I am going to place a 2.5 inch solid border right at the 74X79 mark. The mattress top is 76x80.

Question - Since I am not good with figuring this out, I have no idea what size "unfinished" blocks to make PRIOR to sewing on the on-point setting triangles? Also, I have no idea what the "unfinished" size of the block should be after I put on the on-point setting triangles.

See attached diagram of what I am speaking of, I hope this all makes sense. You can reply in a private message if you would like.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:45 PM

I'm not very good at math, but thought I would give it a try to help you. I was multiplying the size of the block x the number of blocks and you can't get there. 8x9=72. 9x9=81. I think you are going to have to change the dimensions of your quilt so that the finished size of your block is an even equation. You can make 9 eight inch blocks (finished) for a dimension of 72 inches and then put your 2 inch border on or make it a wider border. Since that is only 2 inches smaller than what you have described, it might work for you. I hope this gives you a starting point. Good luck. Gina
Old 09-07-2012, 05:18 PM
Power Poster

You say that your center is 51.5 x 60 finished. You want the first border (finished) to make the top 74x78. That means that the first side borders need to be 11.25" finished (11.25x2+51.5=74) and the top and bottom borders need to be 9" finished (9x2+60=78). Did you want your top and bottom borders to be different sizes?

Regardless, suppose you want to have squares on point along a 60" side. The diagonal measurement of the square is the width of that portion of the border. You want the border to be 11.25" finished, which means that the squares need to have a 11.25" diagonal. But an even number of these squares will NOT add up to 60". If you use 6 squares with a 10" diagonal, they will add up to 60", but that will not be the width that you want (it will be 10" wide). Do you see the issue? You can't always start with a set center and put squares on point around it and have it be the width you want, all at the same time.

What you can do is change the width of your center piece by adding a little or subtracting a little. I hope this helps.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:51 PM

Default How Many Blocks Thread

To the gal's who replied to my post -
What about the Star within the On-Point Block being 6.5 inches prior to sewing on the on-point setting triangles. After the setting triangle are in place the block would be 9 inches and 8.5 inches finished. That would give me 8 blocks Across and 9 blocks Down. Would this work?
Old 09-09-2012, 03:55 PM

Also, I certainly could change the size of the Center Rectangle Block a couple of inches smaller, rather not make it larger. I agree about the top and bottom regarding the 2 inch white border I would like all around it. In order to make it look right, the top and bottom blocks would have to be larger.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by bevster View Post
To the gal's who replied to my post -
What about the Star within the On-Point Block being 6.5 inches prior to sewing on the on-point setting triangles. After the setting triangle are in place the block would be 9 inches and 8.5 inches finished. That would give me 8 blocks Across and 9 blocks Down. Would this work?
8.5 * 8 blocks is 68 inches, not 72. You want 72x78. The only number that works evenly into that is 6 inches. 12 blocks across and 13 blocks down. But that means that you have a gap between the pieced border and your panel. Panel is 52 x 60.5, and the inside (finished) measurement of a 6" border would be 60x66. So you have 4 inches on each side and 2.75 on top & bottom to deal with still.

I would probably add a plain border before the pieced one, of the dimensions I give above, to make the quilt panel 60x66, and then a pieced border with 6" finished blocks. That means the inside of your square in a square needs to finish at 4 1/4".

Editted to add:
Note that 78" is 6x13. That doesn't give you a lot of options for sizing blocks to go across evenly. 6 13" blocks, 13 6" blocks, or 12 6.5" blocks.

Last edited by kristakz; 09-10-2012 at 04:36 AM.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:10 AM

A couple more thoughts. Are you sure you want it to completely fit the bed? That means you'll have overhang at the top as well as sides and bottom. I usually make my quilts a bit shorter when there's a symmetrical pattern I want to display, so that the pillows don't interfere with the design. So what about making your finished quilt to the borders, 72x72? Then there would be 6" for the pillows at the top. And the numbers are nicer to work with

Cut your rectangle down a bit, to 52x60. Aiming for 72x72 - add 10" borders on each side(6 blocks, 10" finished, your inside finished length for the on-point blocks is 7 1/8"). Then add 6" borders top and bottom (12 blocks, 6" finished, on-point blocks are 4 1/2" finished).

Or, would you consider turning the rectangle on its side? Then you'd have 60x52, with a finished size of 72x78. You could put 6" borders on the sides, and 13" borders top and bottom (or, 2 6.5" rows for better symmetry). Won't work if the rectangle is directional, of course.

Editted to add - I just noticed a problem in your calculations. You want a 2" border all around, but you only subtracted 2" from the bed size. You should subtract 4" (2" border on each side of the top). And since I apparently cant' read I used the wrong numbers anyway. You should be trying to achieve a 72x76" top from your initial calculations Then, 2" on all 4 sides makes it 76x80 finished. Of course, 76=19*4, which is an even worse number to work with.

Last edited by kristakz; 09-10-2012 at 05:17 AM.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:02 PM

Hi Dunster,

Guess I'm having trouble expressing myself, or lack of. The 2" border is the one at the 74-78 mark. The on-point star blocks will be the 1st border (next to the Large 51.5 X 60 finished center rectangle. I would rather make the same size star block all the way around; however, it look like I may have to make the top/bottom star blocks larger than the sides to make it reach the 74-78 mark. Or otherwise I would have to attach a blank piece of fabric to the star block on the top and bottom for it to reach the 74-78 mark. Thanks for all your help - Bevster you can send me a private email if you wish.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:05 PM

Hi Dunster,

Guess I'm having trouble expressing myself, or lack of. Wow, you are absolutely right about the second 2" border at the 72-76 mark. The on-point star blocks will be the 1st border (next to the Large 51.5 X 60 finished center rectangle. I would rather make the same size star block all the way around; however, it look like I may have to make the top/bottom star blocks larger than the sides to make it reach the 72-76 mark. Or otherwise I would have to attach a blank piece of fabric to the star block on the top and bottom for it to reach the 72-76 mark. Thanks for all your help - Bevster you can send me a private email if you wish.