Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help - sos - please >

Help - sos - please

Help - sos - please

Old 10-15-2015, 06:11 AM

I have the Husqvarna Diamond Royale & so far I love it. I've only had it for 4 months so I don't have lots of time on it yet (very busy in the summer months). I traded in a Bernina 820 on the Diamond & even though the Bernina is a top notch machine, it can be fussy & so far the Diamond Royale is a gem (no pun intended). I will say that I read all kinds of reviews on it & the one from an independent tester did state that the Diamond Royale is NOT for a beginner but an advanced sewer. She gave it a great review but wanted people to know that it is not for a beginner. I would suggest that you test, test & maybe retest the machines you are considering & go from there. Going to the show in Houston is an awesome idea because all the brands will probably be there & usually they offer great prices. Good luck in your hunt.
Old 10-15-2015, 08:18 AM

Bought a Bernina 830 because I wanted to be able to quilt on it and I wanted the embroidery component. If you're serious about embroidery, a separate embroidery machine would be nice. I usually end up sewing on my old Bernina when I have the 830 set up for embroidery. It's not horrible to switch back and forth, but it's time consuming enough.
Good luck with your search!
Old 10-15-2015, 08:43 AM

I have the Janome 11000 and love it. Looked at the 12000 and 15000, but I couldn't lift them! I decided that I would get the new Janome 500e Embroidery machine (msrp 3000) and try to sell my 11000. After I sell the 11000, I will get the Janome skyline s7 (msrp 3000) for regular sewing. Since they are usually on sale at different times I figure to get the two of them for under 4500. Much less than the cost of the 15000 and able to do all the same things!! Good luck!! Ann
Old 10-15-2015, 03:18 PM

I would not have any input for you about Janome, but I have 3 Viking Machines, and would NEVER ever buy anything else again. They do exactly what I need to do and do it beautifully. They are work horses, all 3 of them, and I would recommend Viking to anyone. Have fun, enjoy your new machine and keep us posted as to how you like it, whichever you choose.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:23 PM

I have the Janome 15000 and love it. Embroidery is great and I have done lots of quilts in the year I've had it. Janomes are easy to use and easy to learn.
Old 10-15-2015, 05:16 PM

I think the biggest question should be .......Is there a place near to service this machine. I purchased a Viking machine from Joanns. When it needed servicing, I took it to Joanns and was told that the machines are sent out of state for servicing. They wait until they get a few machines and then send them to save on shipping. Poor public relations plan if you ask me. No one who sews wants to be without a machine for three or more weeks.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:21 PM

I just saw and tried out the Janome 500E & Janome Skyline s7, I have to say I was super impressed. I am so glad I saw them before I made a bigger purchase for much more $$$. Thank you for your help.
Old 10-16-2015, 08:10 PM

I just had a chat with my fantastic repair man .... I had gotten a Singer (newer model) from a thrift store ..and it was not sewing very well.........he checked it for me, told me not to waste money fixing it , that the cheap design would give me nothing but problems...he then told me if I was buying any of the more modern machines, (and I quote here) "Do NOT buy a Singer OR a Brother....buy an Janome"...............and that is from a first class A+ repair man at a top shop here in town...
Old 10-16-2015, 08:24 PM

I just got the Janome 8200 and love it! Smooth, quiet, huge throat, stitches beautifully, a dream at FMQ, knee lift, great lighting, and very very easy to learn. Monogramming is something I wanted and this has it. A very easy to read screen, too. Get this: my dealer said its her favorite--and she plays with all the Janomes extensively. I got mine for 1400 as a repack. So if I wanted any more machine than this, I'd stick with Janome. Accessories on board are well organized and there's a generous lot of them. I Can't speak for Viking but I see many more for sale on Craigslist than I see Janomes , which tells me something. Have fun and let us know!