Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Help on storing and saving very old quilt tops and blocks >
  • Help on storing and saving very old quilt tops and blocks

• Help on storing and saving very old quilt tops and blocks

Old 05-08-2016, 07:40 PM
    Power Poster

wow!! You made out like a bandit! Lucky you. please show us when you've completed one of them.
    Old 05-09-2016, 01:44 AM

I agree - quilt them first before washing them to add the stability. I use a oxyclean/biz solution. Let it soak - and i have let it soak in the washer overnite.
    Old 05-09-2016, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
    This is a vintage top that I quilted several years ago - http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...d-t226420.html. I just completed another recently but haven't gotten around to posting it yet. I love bringing these old tops to life, and I'm sure you will too.

Retro Clean is a product that's recommended for brightening up vintage quilts. http://retroclean.com/retroclean/ It can be purchased on Amazon. I wouldn't wash the tops until they're quilted though.
    I used RetroClean and can vouch for its effectiveness. The trick is to have lots of sun when doing it. I did this several years ago and the quilts really looked so much better. The yellow disappeared without any ill effects on the fabrics. I would quilt them first...otherwise you might end up with a stringy mess.
    Old 05-09-2016, 03:56 AM

I have had good luck just using an all-fabric bleach (Non-chlorine) and soaking for a long time. Gets the brown-ness out.
    Old 05-09-2016, 05:00 AM

I have bought over two dozen quilt tops that were vintage, meaning they were made from 1920-1930 fabrics. I have had to repair almost all of them, put borders on some and do major work. If the seams are extra good and there are really bad stains, I will wash it to get the stains out. I DO NOT recommend washing it to get odors out, hang the top outside, put in a plastic bag with charcoal or vinegar. I hate trimming all the raveling you will get from the seams, it's a huge mess and often the quilt top will just come undone. Because I don't hand quilt, I have had them quilted on a long arm and they are exquisite. My quilter used a pantograph each time to quilt the top. I think I have bought about six butterfly quilts and they have various butterfly pantographs on them. Good luck with your tops.
    Old 05-09-2016, 05:01 AM

Whatever you choose to do with them, I'm so tickled you have them, especially when you understand what treasures they are! I have quilted a few vintage tops by hand, mostly for other people. I can tell you it was hard to let them go! Please post pictures of your blessings when they are quilted!
    Old 05-09-2016, 05:17 AM

Fantastic acquisition.
    Old 05-09-2016, 06:12 AM
    Power Poster

I won't use batting that requires 1/2" apart. That is too dense for me unless for a small area. As far as cleaning instructions I would atleast baste stitch it so they don't fall apart.
    Old 05-09-2016, 07:07 AM

Will I make any of the stains or yellowing worse if I iron the tops to get rid of the wrinkles? If so, what will be the best method to get them out? I do have two large plastic folding tables that I can spread the tops on. And to help keep with the vintage look, what kind of batting and backing would be closer to the time period of the tops?

I am so happy to have found these and want to use them and love them.
    Old 05-09-2016, 07:43 AM

I have stored old quilts that were musty smelling with the flower drying powders. I don't put it on the quilts, I just have an open container in the trunk. It seems to work on the trunk as well.