Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with Sweet Sixteen problem! >

Help with Sweet Sixteen problem!

Help with Sweet Sixteen problem!

Old 07-28-2013, 06:48 AM

Default Help with Sweet Sixteen problem!

I've just started quilting my quilt, the tension is perfect, but the batting pokes through each stitch in the back. I'm using a dark back and white batting (maybe that was my big mistake), but I can't bear to take it apart. Can anything be done? Do I need to change the needle? If so, do I use special needles (my sweet 16 is new to me) or can I use machine needles? If special needles, what are they, what size? Help, please!!!!
Old 07-28-2013, 06:52 AM

I'm not familiar with the Sweet Sixteen machine, but could your needle be dull? I would try a new needle.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:20 AM

This is your answer. I watched a Fons & Porter quilt episode just last night & She had a guest on FMQ. I did not know there is a right side & wrong side on battings. If you look at the batting the correct side up is a little fuzzier and the back is smoother so it is like a barrier so not to do exactly what you describe, to keep the cotton from poking thru the back. So if you have quilted a lot on your quilt you can take it out or keep it as is & hope that washing it will draw the fuzz back up some. Probably won't show with the wrinkles from washing! Good luck! .
Old 07-28-2013, 08:03 AM
Power Poster

your needle needs to be the correct size for the thread you are using- if you are not sure visit the Superior Threads website- they have free charts that tell you what size needle to use with what weight thread- and the types of needles to use with the types of threads. if your needle is dull, a knit needle (round tip-used for knit fabrics) or too large it may cause this problem. there is a good chance when the quilt is finished, quilted & bound and laundered for the first time these *pokies* will disappear. I do generally use a black batting when using black fabric- just makes life easier- but that is not always a good option-depending on the top. but the holes will close up- when your finished quilt is laundered for the first time
Old 07-28-2013, 08:31 AM
Power Poster

Yes, you needles are different than your regular sewing machine needles.
Check your manual, and I am sure it will tell you what type of needles you need.

ditto to the other suggestions as to the cause of your problem
Also, Aside from white vs. black ... the type of batting could make a difference in getting pokies, or not.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:34 AM

Yes, you need special needles for your SS16. They can be purchased from HandiQuilter, SuperiorvThreads, or your dealer. They come in 14, 16, 18 sizes. There should have been some included with your machine.

There is also a trick to installing them. Your dealer should have shown you how or there is a DVD which came with the machine or there are videos on the Handi Quilter site.

There is a Yahoo group found here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HQ_Sit_down_Model. You will learn a lot about your machine.

As to your current problem: I too think you will be fine when all is finished. The first quilt I did it seemed like the machine was poking huge holes in my quilt! That's because high speed machines use thicker needles so that they don't break. All was well after washing.
p
Old 07-28-2013, 08:41 AM
Power Poster

Are you using Warm and Natural (or warm and white) batting? If so your batting is on upside down. This happened to me once. I use the rhyme "bump up" to remind me. You can cut the batting that isn't quilted yet and flip it over which is what I did, but my rack (Innova) is very easy to do that because my roller for the top lifts up for easy access to the batting.

If you using your Sweet16 as a sit down and used spray adhesive.... Well, I don't have an easy answer for you.

There is nothing that can be done for the part that is already quilted. Live with it or pick it out. But for the rest of the quilt you can cut the batting flip it over and butt it up right next to the batting that has already been quilted. It won't show once the quilt is all qulted.

Edited to add, your thread choice is what dictates what needle to use, NOT the batting.

To the other posters, she would not be able to use a DSM needle in the Sweet 16 as it would not fit and is not long enough. She wouldn't even be able to stitch with DSM needle

I prefer Groz Beckert needles for longarming. You can buy them on line or from your dealer I am sure. Go here to learn which needles to use with which threads:
http://www.superiorthreads.com/reference-guides/

Click the link that says "Longarm Machines Thread Reference Guide"

Here is another great education link from Superior
http://www.superiorthreads.com/educa...-needle-codes/

Last edited by feline fanatic; 07-28-2013 at 08:47 AM.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:54 AM
Power Poster

What is the batting you are using?
Old 07-28-2013, 09:20 AM

Thanks so much. I changed the needle and it's a bit better (I found some in the bag the lady that sold this to me gave me). I think I also have my batting upside down - I had no idea that there was a correct way - I'm using Warm and Natural. I think I may have to go with "good enough" and hope everyone is right that "it will all come out in the wash" as I tell my kids when they worry about small stuff (though this doesn't seem so small). I just don't have the stomach to take this out, or even un-baste and change the batting. I tend to learn from one quilt to the next, and try not to get too upset about the mistakes on the way. Hopefully my son and new bride will still use it and love it.
Thanks again for your advice, which will be very helpful in my next quilt!
Old 07-28-2013, 10:01 AM

Go on HQ website, or YouTube and google TNT - threads, needles, tension. This will answer many questions you may and may not have. Your HQ does NOT use the same needle as a sewing machine, the shaft is different and it has a thread groove in the front. Try using as thin thread os possible which will make it possible for you to use a thinner needle. If you are willing to take your basting apart, double layer the batting - thin black on the back, thin white/natural on the front. I hope you get this resolved.