Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Help

Blog Entries

Help

My backing ended up being just a few inches short and so I had to cut another piece so I can piece the backing together. Since I've never done this before, how do I cut the two pieces in order to sew them together? Do I measure and cut equal distances from each and use a center seam or do it off-center? I was hoping it would fit the lap robe but just in the cards for me today.

Decide how you want it to look, and do it that way. It doesn't matter whether the strip is centered or off-center, especially with a lap robe. Some people don't want a seam in the very center of a bed quilt, but I don't see that as being a problem either.

I agree. Just decide how you want to do it, and go for it. There is no right or wrong way.

Dina

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta View Post
    My backing ended up being just a few inches short and so I had to cut another piece so I can piece the backing together. Since I've never done this before, how do I cut the two pieces in order to sew them together? Do I measure and cut equal distances from each and use a center seam or do it off-center? I was hoping it would fit the lap robe but just in the cards for me today.
    Depending on how much fabric you have, you may want to add more than "a few inches" to avoid the seam being too close to your binding. From experience!
    Fay

Wanted: a job that involves raising cats, riding motorcycles and creating quilts!

Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Here are a few suggestions for where/how to piece a backing. The blue is the added/pieced section.

Jan in VA
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.

Most of my lap quilts have backings with borders to get the backing to the needed size - like the one in my Avatar.

I generally don't put seams down or across the center, in case it gets 'off' when I put it on the frame.

Blog Entries
    If you are going to have it long arm quilted by someone, check with them first. Normally they will want it to go horizontally. Jan in VA gave some great suggestions.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings