HELP

Old 03-15-2010, 01:23 PM

Can someone Please tell me how hard it is to do a quilt in satin or a easy way to do one.Would love to try a log cabin if it's not to hard Thank You Ruth
Old 03-15-2010, 01:27 PM
Power Poster

My first thoughts are slippery and fraying... If you have worked with satin before, you already know this :wink: I have seen some log cabins that used a satin in the center, and then the rest was made with cottons... Another thought is washability....
Old 03-15-2010, 01:33 PM

I wonder if the satin is fused to an interfacing first? I definately wouldn't want to work with it raw.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:36 PM

making a quilt block out of satin is not that much different than making one out of cotton, it just takes more patience and a slightly different approach...want more info, please PM me
Old 03-15-2010, 01:42 PM
Power Poster

It would be very slippery and satin frays like crazy. Ironing it to a fusible would provide body (people who make quilts from silk ties often do this) and prevent fraying, but does add stiffness and weight. I would experiment with fusible tricot to see if you like the result.

Another experiment you could try is heavily starching the satin before cutting. Mix a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo laundry starch and water, paint it on the satin, throw the saturated satin in the dryer, then iron with steam. The starch would rinse out when the quilt is completed, leaving the fabric very soft. If you experiment with this and like the result, I would definitely recommend using 1/2-inch seams rather than the usual 1/4-inch seams because the satin will still be prone to fraying.

I would get a yard or two of satin and try both methods before committing to an entire quilt made out of satin.

I worked with satin years ago when I sewed a Halloween costume for my young daughter. I pre-washed the satin and the dress was able to go through the washer and dryer just fine. It was slippery fabric to work with, though. That's why you probably need to either fuse it or starch it heavily in order to get accuracy when piecing.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:18 PM

too slippery and it would fray too much.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:38 PM

I have a satiny quilt that I've just started doing the quilting on. I've pressed all the seams toward the sashing and am quilting about 1/8" from the seam line so the quilting catches the seam allowance. I'm hoping this will stabilize the seams enough to keep it from 'coming apart at the seams'. In addition I'm wanting to do some 'design of the fabric' embellishment in the large squares to emphasize the beauty of the fabric.

I'm doing this all by hand, so it is not a speedy process, but I'm hoping the results will be really nice.

So, yes, I think it is definitely doable, but will require patience and concentration.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:59 PM

Thank you very much for the help. Don't know when but in time think I will give it a try.Right now you all have me thinking about it for awhile. ( but for now I'm chicken ) lol. Again Thank You Ruth
Old 03-15-2010, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by mom-6
I have a satiny quilt that I've just started doing the quilting on. I've pressed all the seams toward the sashing and am quilting about 1/8" from the seam line so the quilting catches the seam allowance. I'm hoping this will stabilize the seams enough to keep it from 'coming apart at the seams'. In addition I'm wanting to do some 'design of the fabric' embellishment in the large squares to emphasize the beauty of the fabric.

I'm doing this all by hand, so it is not a speedy process, but I'm hoping the results will be really nice.

So, yes, I think it is definitely doable, but will require patience and concentration.
Hope it works out for u I'm sure it will. Good Luck
Old 03-15-2010, 05:40 PM

I just made satin curtains for My DDIL and Said I will NEVER work with it again if does fray a lot and is hard to sew straight.