Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
help with templates >

help with templates

help with templates

Old 09-11-2015, 05:47 PM

Unhappy help with templates

I'm new to Quilting Board-I started a sampler quilt about 30 years ago(!) and recently unpacked the pieces and fabric-everything is in good condition, and I only need to finish 3 squares to complete it. I am trying to do a 16 inch square of a log cabin pattern, but all I can find is measurements for 12 inch squares-I'm lost trying to figure the size of strips to try and finish this. Thanks for any help
Old 09-11-2015, 06:14 PM

search log cabin patterns on google.
Old 09-12-2015, 04:14 AM
Power Poster

Some people don't pre-cut the strips to length first, they use a cut as you go method. Since you are just making one block, I would do this. Here's a link on the how-to:
http://www.marthastewart.com/907228/...-pattern-quilt
If you feel more comfortable, make the block up to the 12 inch size (12.5" is the measurement including the seam allowances), then use the method above to add the rest of the strips. You can always just oversize the block and trim it down to the size you need by centering the block and trimming the outside row evenly.
Old 09-12-2015, 04:22 AM
Power Poster

One interpretation - make all the logs 2" finished (cut them at 2.5").
Attached Thumbnails 16-inch-log-cabin-block.jpg  
Old 09-12-2015, 04:58 AM
Power Poster

I just noticed the title on your post. Are you actually using templates? I would just cut 2.5" wide strips at lengths of 2.5", 4.5", 6.5", 8.5", 10.5", 12.5", 14.5" and 16.5" as shown in diagram above.
Old 09-12-2015, 05:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
One interpretation - make all the logs 2" finished (cut them at 2.5").
In that illustration, the red "hearthstone" is not centered - two sides have three more strips and two sides have four more strips. Does it matter?

It might be easier to make a four inch (cut size 4.5")center square and then two inch strips (cut size 2.5") - but that might look a bit clunky.

Another thought would be to make four (8 inch finished size) log cabin units and combine them for the big block.

The width of the strips might be determined on the scale of the pieces in the other blocks. If the other blocks have big, bold pieces, use wider strips. If the other blocks use smaller pieces, use narrower width strips.
Old 09-12-2015, 06:08 AM
Power Poster

Welcome to the board. As dunster said, you really don't need any template for making a log cabin block. There are basic instruction on Google.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
In that illustration, the red "hearthstone" is not centered - two sides have three more strips and two sides have four more strips. Does it matter?
bearisgray, Look at the illustration closely...the red square, the neutral square beside it, and the teal strip above them, all together form a square. Then each set of 4 strips surrounding that square unit to keep making larger squares.

dawilliamsrn, The width of your strips would depend on how many layers of logs you want in the block. For example, if you want a 16" block and you want your logs to finish at 2 in., you will need 7 rings of strips (cut 2 1/2 in. wide) around that center unit of 2 squares (finish 2") and one strip (finish 2 x 4") that I described above from dunster's illustration.

I only cut my log cabin strips to width and then trim the length as I sew them on, being careful to keep everything square and on track. (use a ruler and rotary cutter, not just cutting by eye with a scissors.)

(Someone please correct me if I'm wrong in my measurements and instructions!)
Old 09-14-2015, 07:06 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MarthaT View Post
bearisgray, Look at the illustration closely...the red square, the neutral square beside it, and the teal strip above them, all together form a square. Then each set of 4 strips surrounding that square unit to keep making larger squares.

dawilliamsrn, The width of your strips would depend on how many layers of logs you want in the block. For example, if you want a 16" block and you want your logs to finish at 2 in., you will need 7 rings of strips (cut 2 1/2 in. wide) around that center unit of 2 squares (finish 2") and one strip (finish 2 x 4") that I described above from dunster's illustration.

I only cut my log cabin strips to width and then trim the length as I sew them on, being careful to keep everything square and on track. (use a ruler and rotary cutter, not just cutting by eye with a scissors.)

(Someone please correct me if I'm wrong in my measurements and instructions!)
i did look carefully - I did notice that those THREE pieces made up the center of the block. The red square is NOT centered in that block.
Old 09-14-2015, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
i did look carefully - I did notice that those THREE pieces made up the center of the block. The red square is NOT centered in that block.
bearisgray: What if you reversed the block from the drawing and put the red center block where the neutral square beside it is and then put the prints on the neutrals side and the neutrals where the prints are; would that make the red block in the center? I think the block should be swapped around to get the red in the center.