Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help from those who have a Pfaff QE 4.0 or 4.2 >

Help from those who have a Pfaff QE 4.0 or 4.2

Help from those who have a Pfaff QE 4.0 or 4.2

Old 06-19-2015, 02:04 PM

Default Help from those who have a Pfaff QE 4.0 or 4.2

Which 1/4 inch foot do you use? I've tried the one with the flange, without the flange, the regular foot and moving the needle position and I can't seem to get an accurate seam allowance all the way down. As the needle nears the end of the seam the fabric moves to the left narrowing the seam. My little $300 Janome sews a beautifully accurate seam allowance. I call my Pfaff dealer to see if a 9MM 1/4" foot is made, but only the foot that doesn't go all the way across the feed dogs is offered. I'm hoping someone has a great tip to share. And BTW, the regular foot is 9mm, but the front is closed so I can't use a stiletto to hold the fabric in place. Thanks for any help you can offer.

jean
Old 06-19-2015, 02:13 PM

Actually, there is a foot available that I use. It is wider on the left side of the needle, and therefore the left side feed dogs are covered, the right side is 1/4". It works much better than the regular 1/4" foot
Old 06-19-2015, 04:38 PM

I use the 1/4" foot with the flange. I leave a small gap between the fabric and the flange to get a 1/4" seam. It is not perfect, but it is the closest I can get.

fatquarters,
What is the name of the foot you use? I don't really understand your description. Sorry.

Here is my gripe with my 4.0. Fabric dips down in front of the bobbin cover and will flip seams. I cover the dip with tape. Does anyone have a better suggestion? http://carolinapatchworks.com/blog/w...9/img_3866.jpg
Old 06-19-2015, 04:48 PM
Power Poster

I don't have a machine like you are asking about. But, before I got my number 57 for the bernina, I used to use a stack of post its to guide the fabric at the right width. You just pull off the backing and stick it to the correct spot in front of the foot. I always loved this handy tip I got years ago from a quilter. It is an alternative to purchasing a foot anyway.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:01 PM
Power Poster

I have a 4.0 and I use the metal 1/4" foot with the guard. I set the needle one click over to the right which is a 0.3 on the screen. You will see the needle move one click over. About the veering off at the end; most of us have all fingers together and in front of the foot. Try placing your index and middle finger to the side on the foot in a "V" form; this should give you more control of the fabric that has passed under the needle keeping it straight. This is the way I solved the issue for myself.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:39 PM

I use one of the regular piecing feet and move my needle to the right on 3.0 mark. I use the edge of the foot as my guide.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:11 PM

Thanks for the replies. Using all the 1/4" feet, have you noticed that the right side of the foot doesn't cover the right feed dog (the left doesn't either) which causes the fabric not to be gripped enough to sew straight? Pagzz, I have used the regular foot with the needle set on 3.0 and so far that works better, but because that foot in closed in the front. I can't use a stiletto to keep the fabric aligned all the way until the end of the fabric gets to the needle. This was manageable until I started sewing triangles to make HSTs.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:44 PM

gonna try posting a pic galls....wish me luck!

yah! so, I am not sure the name of this, but looks much like mine.....the left side is wider to grip the feed dogs, and the right side gives you the 1/4"
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 06-19-2015, 08:08 PM

fatquarters, Thanks for posting that. I don't have that foot and I like that it is open in front so that a stiletto can be used. I hope the right side covers the feed dogs on the right. If you could tell me where you got it, maybe I can get it. I think it may be called an open toe foot. I'll do a search on the internet.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:53 PM

I feel sure I've found the one you've shown and it's 9mm open toe so I'm sure it will fit across the feed dogs. I think it's really for applique, but it should work.