Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help with Thousands Pyramids Quilt

Help with Thousands Pyramids Quilt

HELP.....I have myself so confused and need someone to unconfuse me. I want to make a Thousand Pyramids quilt. The instructions say to cut my fabric into 3 inch strips and them cut my triangles from the 3 inch strips. I have "GO" die #55009 which is described as a half square-3 inch finished triangle. Would I be able to use this die to cut my triangles? If so, would the only difference to the actual quilt be that the overall size would be larger than expected? Would it increase both the length and the width of the finished quilt? I know I should be able to take a ruler and a piece of paper and figure this out but I've been trying and just get more and more confused. Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give me in this matter.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

Wrong triangle. Not HST. I think it uses the the 60 degree template or cut.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Thank you a million. I will get a 60 degree template tomorrow. And, a good nights sleep tonight since you resolved my problem and I can stop thinking about it!
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

Power Poster
    Attached is a comparison of the triangle in a square trianglem, an equilateral triangle. and a half square triangle with the same base.
    Attached Images Attached Images Click to view large image 
    Last edited by bearisgray; 08-14-2012 at 07:07 PM.

Blog Entries
    Just a word of caution; with a thousand pyramid quilt, you are dealing with a *lot* of bias edges. I highly recommend heavily starching your fabric before cutting into strips, to help stabilize those bias edges. This will make for more accurate cutting and also more accurate piecing.

Power Poster
    Thousand of pyramids is traditionally done with equilateral triangles. The sides of the triangles are all equal in length, hence the name equilateral. A 60* ruler is what you use to cut the triangles but handle with care. You may want to starch your fabric well before cutting to help control the bias edges. It is a really cool pattern and depending on where you place the fabric values can appear 3D.

I'm going to have to find a pic of this pattern. Sounds interesting.

Blog Entries
    here is a google image search of the quilt https://www.google.com/search?q=Thou...w=1020&bih=638
    Nancy in western NY

Just to add that if you are opposed to starch, as some of us are, it is entirely possible to make this pattern without using it. It is not critical to the construction process.

What IS critical, is to make sure the straight of grain side of the triangle is always the base. That way, when they are sewn into strips and the ends are squared off, there are no longer any exposed bias edges.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Blog Entries
    re you using the Fons and porter pattern. It called for the F&P Pyramid ruler. I have that ruler and have used it a few times. Works good.

Quote Originally Posted by BETTY62 View Post
    HELP.....I have myself so confused and need someone to unconfuse me. I want to make a Thousand Pyramids quilt. The instructions say to cut my fabric into 3 inch strips and them cut my triangles from the 3 inch strips. I have "GO" die #55009 which is described as a half square-3 inch finished triangle. Would I be able to use this die to cut my triangles? If so, would the only difference to the actual quilt be that the overall size would be larger than expected? Would it increase both the length and the width of the finished quilt? I know I should be able to take a ruler and a piece of paper and figure this out but I've been trying and just get more and more confused. Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give me in this matter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast