Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Help with thread slipping off needle

Blog Entries
    I remember seeing a video that showed how to "lock" a single thread onto the needle so it wouldn't slip off while hand sewing and I'm not talking about knotting the end of the thread. As I hand sew, I am constantly losing my needle because it slips off the free end of the single thread. I have looked everywhere for this video and I know someone either knows how to do it or knows the link to that video. I wish I had paid more attention at the time..LOL Thanks

I've not see the video but I use Thread Heaven and not had the problem.

someone showed an excellent picture on here just a few day's ago showing how to do this- i will (try) to talk you through it...it is easy--
    i use a threader, which makes it a little easier.
    thread needle- take ahold of the end you put through the eye- pull it down 3 or 4 inches=
    poke the end (same end you put through in the first place) back through the eye, forming a loop.
    dip the tip of the needle down through that loop and pull tight. now you have your needle threaded with a tail by the eye of a couple inches- your needle will not fall off your thread.
    i had to learn to do this when i started using silk threads- they are so smooth and thin it is the only way to keep your needle threaded :thumbup:

Senior Member CompulsiveQuilter's Avatar
    Maybe you need a self threading needle? It has a notch in the eye so you "snap" the thread in to put it through the eye. I have found these to always stay threaded when hand-sewing. Easy, too!

Blog Entries
    thank you so much, I've got it down now. No more slipping.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    someone showed an excellent picture on here just a few day's ago showing how to do this- i will (try) to talk you through it...it is easy--
    i use a threader, which makes it a little easier.
    thread needle- take ahold of the end you put through the eye- pull it down 3 or 4 inches=
    poke the end (same end you put through in the first place) back through the eye, forming a loop.
    dip the tip of the needle down through that loop and pull tight. now you have your needle threaded with a tail by the eye of a couple inches- your needle will not fall off your thread.
    i had to learn to do this when i started using silk threads- they are so smooth and thin it is the only way to keep your needle threaded :thumbup:
    Isn't it difficult to get the thread end back through the eye with the thread already in there?

I want to try this!