Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Help in tieing a quilt

Help in tieing a quilt

I am making a coverlet for a young man (age 10). I have the top done and want to sew it to the flannel back, then tie it. My question is how much of a seam allowance should I have when sewing the top to the back? A quarter inch does not seem right to me. I will then turn it right side out and tie it. Any ideas?

Blog Entries
    I would probably do a 1/2" or 3/4" seam. Are you wanting to avoid putting a binding on it? I just did my first tied quilt but I didn't birth it (which is what you are wanting to do on yours). I left my backing a little bigger than the top and pin basted then tied. I then bound it like all the other quilts I have made. I was afraid to birth it because I wouldn't know what to do if there was excess in the backing when I went to tie it.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Quote Originally Posted by Jakers1 View Post
    I am making a coverlet for a young man (age 10). I have the top done and want to sew it to the flannel back, then tie it. My question is how much of a seam allowance should I have when sewing the top to the back? A quarter inch does not seem right to me. I will then turn it right side out and tie it. Any ideas?
    What I do---------which is more for looks than anything is to sew at least an inch in. Then when turned, I top stitch the edges. With the double thickness it looks more like a pizza crust---------you know slightly heavier. IMO, it also helps kiddo GRAB the quilt--a bit of something to hold on to.

Might need to add a bit of border to make room for the wider seam.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Thanks for the ideas, I was on the right track. The top is a four patch with sashing and I have a 3 1/2 inch border as a frame. I was not sure what seam allowance to use to sew the top to the flannel backing, now I know and thanks again.

If you want some ideas when it comes to the actual tying process, Karen Griska came out yesterday with a great little PDF on tie ideas. I love the woolie ones
    http://selvageblog.blogspot.com/2013...ses-today.html

I usually tie mine first and then bind them. I have done it two ways. Turn the excess over and sew or my favorite way is to sew the binding on with machine and hand sew.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakers1 View Post