Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help?tips with making Braid Quilt please >

Help?tips with making Braid Quilt please

Help?tips with making Braid Quilt please

Old 09-02-2010, 02:00 PM

My husband wants me to make a braid quilt using scraps. I decided to do it using Bonnie Hunter's instructions from Quiltville.

I have made one braid the length I want. Now it is time to trim it and I am nervous about trimming something that long and keeping it accurate.

Does anyone who has made one have any tips or tricks for cutting off the edges?
Old 09-02-2010, 02:22 PM

Starch it first! You might also want to draw the cutting line first. That way, you should be less likely to screw it up. Go slowly when cutting and do not attempt it if you are tired or too distracted by other things going on around you. Good luck! Be sure to post some pics when you are done!
Old 09-02-2010, 02:26 PM

If it was me I would draw a chalk line down the center, using the sewn seams as me guide. Then using it as my 'center' measure the 'width' you want, divided by 2. So if you want your braid to be a total of 9" half would be 4.5, using your center line cut at 4.5, flip braid around and then do the other side at 4.5. Because of the length and so many seams, I do not think I would try to fold the braid and cut.

good luck

make sure you share!
Old 09-02-2010, 02:34 PM

I folded my last one in quarters, put a pin in, used a new blade and cut it off! It was well starched and that worked out great for me. I know your feeling, that is a lot of stitching to risk!
Old 09-02-2010, 02:41 PM

If you have a yardstick, I'd use that to draw the cutting line. Then you can use your rotary cutter for cutting, but in shorter sections.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:52 PM

I'm making 2 of the Texas Braid now...at least I was till it got put on the 'to do yet' pile :(

'I believe' Bonnie says to trim up the sides when you're ready to sew the strips together...at least that's what I'm doing.

I'll be starching the strips heavily - trimming 2 and then sewing those 2 strips together. Connecting pairs at a time then 2 pairs together, etc.

Good luck!
Old 09-02-2010, 03:34 PM

Thanks for all the good advice. I will starch and draw the line. I am way too chicken to fold and cut.

I appreciate all the encouragement and ideas. I will wait until tomorrow morning and let you know how it goes. :)
Old 09-02-2010, 05:55 PM

Make all your strips and THEN trim one strip -- the shortest one. Sew toegther and then square it off. That's what I did with the three braid quilts I made
Old 09-02-2010, 05:59 PM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by paintmejudy
Make all your strips and THEN trim one strip -- the shortest one. Sew toegther and then square it off. That's what I did with the three braid quilts I made
That is the way I learned as well.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by paintmejudy
I'm a bit dense. I don't understand what you mean by the shortest one. I am making all the braids the same length and then am going to trim the sides and join them until it is wide enough to fit the bed.

I appreciate everyone's input.