Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP!! tired of ripping >

HELP!! tired of ripping

HELP!! tired of ripping

Old 06-09-2014, 02:47 PM

If I have a line more than a couple of inches to sew, I pin the intersection and sew it together first, then go back and sew the entire seam.
I don't start at one end and sew to the other end first, but sew the intersection then the remainder of the seam.
Hope that makes sense. Don't know how else to explain it.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:16 PM

Clover has some great pins out that are long and thin...work great. A shop owner once told me to pin on each side of seams instead of in the middle and it made a huge different on my intersections. Good luck!
Old 06-10-2014, 03:46 AM

I agree with all the suggestions given. I haven't seen an answer for SEWWHAT's question.

Do you press your seams to one side? Do you nest them (one side goes one way and the other side goes the other way)? If both seams are going the same way when placed together to sew, the bulky seam could be making your seams moving when going under the presser foot, no matter how much pressure is applied.

Can you post pictures of how you're lining them up? Maybe we can think of other suggestions.

Nan - Indiana
Old 06-10-2014, 04:16 AM
Power Poster

I use Wonder Clips to hold the seam exactly where I want it. The clip is designed not to have to be taken off to sew, it lays flat on one side. I like glue basting seams too but the clips are best when I have lots of seams to match. I rarely use pins anymore. A machine usually will feed the top layer more then the bottom layer. Hold the top fabric up off the bottom fabric until it reaches the foot. This really helps.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:14 AM

When I first start the seam I put the needle down and place the fabric against the needle then begin sewing. This way the feed dogs doesn't push the top fabric forward.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:50 AM
Suz

Use pin through both seams and allow it to stand straight up. Then pin as usual before the seams and after the seams. Before and after will have less bulk. Then while stitching, remove the standing pin as you approach it. There is a fork pin (for lack of the correct term) available to quilters. This pin had two thongs side-by-side that straddle the seam.

I think by turning the pin to secure the pin, the seams are distorted. -- Hope this helps.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:06 AM

A walking foot will make your life much better. The top then will feed at the same rate as the feed dogs on the bottom. Also pin all intersections as that will help. Gluing may work for you too. Try all suggestions and see what works best for you and perhaps you can set your seam ripper aside for a while. Don't get discouraged, we all have to find our way to the best solution for each of us.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:20 AM

I use those Clover superfine pins- they are awesome BUT the fork pins are just amazing for those intersections. I was taught to pin on either side of intersections but the fork pin replaces both pins! The fabric stays right where you want it and it helps keep the fabric underneath from flipping to the opposite direction too!
Old 06-11-2014, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I use Wonder Clips to hold the seam exactly where I want it. The clip is designed not to have to be taken off to sew, it lays flat on one side. I like glue basting seams too but the clips are best when I have lots of seams to match. I rarely use pins anymore. A machine usually will feed the top layer more then the bottom layer. Hold the top fabric up off the bottom fabric until it reaches the foot. This really helps.
Not solving original problem, but asking about above comment.........
I thought the opposite..bottom eats more than top...that is why if you have slack in one of the two pieces, but the baggy one on the bottom and it will then be evened out when sewing.......anyway, that's what I do and it works..maybe just my machine.......or me
Old 06-11-2014, 05:21 AM

I found that I was not lining up the pieces I was sewing so the seams did not match. So, I pin the unsewn edge of the pieces together at the seam so the fabric does not shift and the seams match up much better. The sewn seams do not shift when pinned like this.