Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
help with triangles >

help with triangles

help with triangles

Old 02-10-2011, 08:13 AM

Short of using a template or ruler can anyone tell me how to figure out how to cut scalene triangles/long triangles used in blocks like the traditional Bird of Paradise blocks. I have been using a 60 degree triangle cut to 4 1/2 inches and need to figure out how to cut the side triangles for it so it comes out a square 4 1/2 inches. Thank you very much.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:34 AM
lgc

Try graph paper. Graph your 4 1/2" block, cut the pieces apart and then tape to the bottom of your ruler.

I haven't used this method but sounds like it could work. You could always buy the tri-reqs rulers.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:53 AM

Thank you for your reply and I am going to go buy the rulers have been trying to avoid it because I hate paying so much for them but I am having no luck with the templates I make. I really thought there must be some kind of mathematical formula for them and then I could just cut the rectangles with my rotary cutter. Should have paid more attention in geometry class a hundred years ago.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:35 AM
Power Poster

I think the rulers are your best bet. A scalene triangle just means that there are no 2 sides equal. You need additional measurements (sides or angles) to do the trigonometry to figure the exact block, so see, snoozing in geometry didn't hurt a bit! It was that darned trig class when you were flirting with that cute guy across the aisle that got you in trouble.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:29 AM

Yes I am going to have to break down and spend some money on a ruler. I really want to make the block and already have the colors in mind plus I wanted to challenge myself and try something different than my traditional 1/2 square triangles and straight cuts. Thanks for your reply.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:31 AM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

if you can wait until this coming Friday, JoAnn's has their quilting notions on sale 50% off (rulers & templates)
Old 02-14-2011, 09:14 AM

Thank you and yes I can wait for a sale.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:52 AM

Checked Joann's out online and found a sale there already going on plus also found a coupon online for free shipping over $50. Didn't find the ruler I needed online but they had a great sale on rotary cutters so was not a wasted effort at all. Never think of Joann's for some reason but now I will. Thanks for reminding me.