Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help - Trouble shoot free motion quilting on Janome 6600 >

Help - Trouble shoot free motion quilting on Janome 6600

Help - Trouble shoot free motion quilting on Janome 6600

Old 02-02-2016, 02:45 PM

I have to crank my tension up pretty high....i have had it up to 8 or 9. I don't use the foot pedal anymore because my speed would vary too much (I have a led foot). I have never used the blue dot bobbin, maybe some day. I don't know what the trick is, I know that I try and try and when I am just about to give up it starts to work
Old 02-02-2016, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by spark View Post
They sell a bobbin case that has a blue dot on it. It really helped me with the eyelash problem. Also, I do not lower my feed dogs. I just set the stitch at 0. I also do not use the foot peddle. Move the fabric slowly around a curve. These things have improved my free motion on that machine. I still do not like to quilt by machine, but usually quilt by hand.
Thanks so much for the reply, Spark - but I think I have already covered most those bases (thanks to help other times from all the board members). I have that bobbin case and also use a bobbin washer with it. I tried with the feed dogs up and down. I NEVER use the foot pedal - only tried it to see if it worked when I got the machine about six years ago. I'd be totally lost without the Start/Stop. I must say tho that I probably don't slow down enough on curves and that could be a big problem.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by susie-susie-susie View Post
Is 5 the factory setting? I think the top tension is too loose and maybe you are moving the block a little too fast on the curves. I would tighten the top tension first and see if that helps. Good luck.
Sue
I agree - I'm sure it is too loose - I just kept changing the tension, one number at a time and that was where it was on the last try - out of about 20 tries - trying everything but turning the machine upside down - LOL. We do get desperate sometimes.
Old 02-02-2016, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
This machine should tell you if you forgot to put the presser foot down.
When I FMQ my speed control is way down near the bottom range. This keeps my "lead foot" under control as I tend to speed up on curves, causing those eyelashes.
I also put my stitch length to 0 rather than drop my feed dogs.
On mine, it always runs around "4" for FMQ, but that's neither here nor there as all machines are different.
Also, on my machine, it doesn't like it if you have different thread in the top and bottom. I know you're trying to show the problem here and that's why you have two different threads, but mine acts funny when you do that, right off the bat.

Watson
When I first started I had the white thread (same thread) in the top and in the bobbin. Thanks for the reply.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:38 PM

I have had this problem with different threads. I also ran into this when I had a bit of thread that got stuck inside the thread track in the machine, an aged but beloved Kenmore. I ended up doing a full clean and oil after that and the problem went away.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:26 PM

I have to set my tension around 7 or 8 on my 6600 when I FMQ... I also noticed your speed was to the right of middle... I personally wouldn't be able to FMQ that fast. I had not heard of a bobbin with a blue dot but it will be on my next shopping list. Good luck.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:04 PM

I have a 6600 and do a lot of machine quilting. I've got the tension thing wired now.
I learned all about tension from Cindy Needham and these two handouts really helped me:

http://www.cindyneedham.com/text/MAS...ION%202012.pdf
http://http://www.cindyneedham.com/t...ous%20Four.pdf do this one first.

When I quilt:
1. When I get those eyelashes, many times it's because the machine isn't threaded properly.
2. I never have the speed that high when I machine quilt. I have it on the lower half of the speed setting.
3. I find superior so fine 50 or bottom line in the bobbin helps, no matter what thread (any brand) I'm using in the top.
4. I keep the feed dogs up .
5. Interestingly enough, I very rarely set my top tension above 5. My machine may be adjusted differently than yours.
6. I have a blue dot bobbin case but not sure if it makes much difference.

I wish you were close by so we could put our heads together to solve this. It can get frustrating. Good luck!
Old 02-02-2016, 06:15 PM

I go back to my manual & walk through the settings recommendations.[ATTACH=CONFIG]541780[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 02-02-2016, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by PghPat View Post
I have been trying off and on for a few years to learn to free motion quilt. Each time I really put my heart into it I do accomplish just a bit more - but by the time I am ready to try quilting something else I just can't do it. I just finished a baby quilt last month and was so happy with the quilting - front and back (just got it mailed yesterday - bummer). It was the first item I did a something other than practice blocks. I actually remembered to write down my settings and tried to duplicate it - but it is awful. I have move my settings all over the place. I am posting a picture front and back on a scrap block that I just tried on and you will see my top thread (on the back) is all loops. The picture of the machine is the settings that were used on that block. Of course that was about the 6th different settings I tried. Can anyone help me? I tried changing the needle - retreading the top and the bobbin thread to no avail. I'm not sure how much you can tell by these pictures. Thanks for even looking at my posting. Pat

[ATTACH=CONFIG]541740[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]541741[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]541739[/ATTACH]
When I had something like this happen (actually more than once), it turned out to be a tiny piece of thread stuck in my bobbin tension path. Very hard to see and I had to use the head of a pin to remove, but it fixed it. Very frustrating because it was not readily visible. This has happened to both top loader and front loader bobbins for me.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
I have to set my tension around 7 or 8 on my 6600 when I FMQ... I also noticed your speed was to the right of middle... I personally wouldn't be able to FMQ that fast. I had not heard of a bobbin with a blue dot but it will be on my next shopping list. Good luck.
Jmoore - just want to make a clarification before you go out shopping - it is a "blue dot" bobbin CASE that's been talked about - not a bobbin.

I finally got it going smoothly tonight - after fiddling around and changing setting back and forth. Yes, one of the things that helped was moving the tension to a higher number - even tho the manual suggests a lower number. It is a baby quilt and I only had time to get it half finished tonight and then I really hated to turn the machine off while it was going good....afraid it will forget what it was supposed to do by morning. ��

Don't know how I'd ever manage without this board. THANKS TO ALL OF YOU!