Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! Trying to remove tiny stitches >

Help! Trying to remove tiny stitches

Help! Trying to remove tiny stitches

Old 04-12-2016, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by KLO View Post
I use the tiny rotary cutter to take out tiny stitches and big ones too. Once I can get to where the layers can be separated a bit and I can see the stitches holding the layers together, I pull up the top layer and start cutting with the rotary cutter little by little while continuing to pull up on the top layer and holding down the bottom one. Does that make any sense whatsoever? I have become a master at this technique .... which is a sad statement about my sewing/quilting. Good luck and take your time.
I'd be scared to death that I would cut thru something important, but this sounds like a great technique. Will have to try it on my practice fmq sandwiches.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:45 PM

I just had to do this myself - ugh! I had a little seam ripper and one of those seam rippers that are a blade tip (which scared me).. what worked the best for me was the tweezers. I never would have been able to finish without using the tweezers. They could grab a teeny piece of thread and hold on to it when I pulled threat out.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:50 PM
Power Poster

as to the black on black... maybe run some white chalk along the sewing line to be able to see better?
Old 04-12-2016, 05:39 PM

I had assumed it couldn't be separated, if it can, I found using my pointy embroidery scissors helps me get the threads clipped easier than a seam ripper. When I'm brave, I sometimes even just clip the threads on top. That way I don't have to try to get anything between the thread & top. I just put scissors straight upright (perpendicular to top) and clip carefully until I'm through both plies of the thread.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Is there any way you could start at the edge and separate the 3 layers? I would lift my top and clip the tiny stitch in the batting. It will take a while and you might have to work in a tunnel as you go along but you would have to worry about damaging the top.

This would be my suggestion as well. Painful but sometimes very necessary with those itty bitty stitches.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:21 PM

When I have to rip something like that, I add some magnifying glasses and get the best light I can on the subject. Also, Hobby Lobby has a seam ripper that has one of the smallest points and that makes ripping somewhat easier. In the end, nothing is going to make ripping black on black a pleasure. It is just tough. Been there, done that!
Old 04-12-2016, 10:43 PM

No extra advice I've used many of these methods at different times. Now a days I only undo if it looks a real mess I've ruined fabric too often. Good luck .
Old 04-13-2016, 04:11 AM

Using the blade of the rotary cutter --- spreading the seam open -- isn't that scary...EB does it that way.

after you remove all those stitches...make a small scrap sandwich and check your machine stitching before starting again.....
Old 04-13-2016, 04:20 AM
Power Poster

I use a rotary cutter and have never cut the fabric no matter how small the stitches.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:27 AM
Power Poster

I hate using black thread because when we get older, we can't see the thread from the fabric. Just be patient, say a prayer and you should get thru this problem before you know it.