Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!! Unpicking for 3rd time :( >

Help!! Unpicking for 3rd time :(

Help!! Unpicking for 3rd time :(

Old 09-22-2011, 11:36 AM

So I'm still doing my daughters floor quilt/play mat and I've pieced the top, basted my layers and started stitching. 1st time I had my stitch settings wrong, as it's the first time using a walking foot, lesson learnt, so I unpicked and started again, it then puckered terribly on the top, so I unpicked and re basted, trimmed my boarders as I wasn't happy with the size while I was at it. Quilted again, and it's puckered badly again, I was very careful using safety pins to baste it was lovely and flat :(

I think my problem is I'm trying to do too large a pattern, I was just stitching in the ditch but my top only has 6 30x40cm rectangles, so the quilting was very far apart. I didn't want to do anything intricate because it's large and im inexperienced.

So my question is, should I be quilting a closer pattern? I have a darning foot so could do some free motion but I'm not 100% confident, but then again in still learning all aspects.

Any tips would be gratefully received as I sit and unpick the whole thing again, I could cry!!!
Old 09-22-2011, 11:51 AM
Power Poster

Look at the packaging for your batting (wadding?). It will tell you how far apart you can safely quilt.
When you pin the sandwich, you need to tape the backing down so that it is taut, but not stretched. Smooth your batting over, then the top and use lots of pins. You should not be able to put your fist down without touching pins. Then remove the tape. I would try SITD using your walking foot on a practice piece. It sounds to me as though the foot is not installed correctly. Check your owner's manual. There's either a prong or a fork thing-y that needs to go over or around the screw that holds the needle in. Again, work on a practice piece before trying it on your quilt. Don't be too discouraged, it's all part of the learning process.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:08 PM
Power Poster

also don't use too small a stitch length. that too will cause puckers. you can stitch in the ditch and next go back and stitch 1/4 or 1/2 from all seams. and again inside that if necessary. simple stitching but looks nice and fills in where necessary.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:09 PM

Thanks :) my basting technique was as you discribed, and I checked the installation of the foot.

I will check the packaging, if I still have it, thanks for
Your help x
Old 09-22-2011, 12:59 PM

Also, maybe try a basting spray? I hardly get any puckers with basting spray.. just be careful not to spray anything else, like carpets or counters.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:30 PM
Power Poster

are you using a high loft batting? something like warm & natural which allows up to 10" between quilting lines is ideal to learn with-
some of the batts require 2" to 4" quilting (quite dense) and can be part of the problem- but too much loft can also be a problem- lofty batts are better used for tied quilts.
check the packaging and see what it says is recommended- try to lengthen your stitch length- often a longer stitch will keep your lines from puckering.
and slow down...trying to hurry the fabric through faster than the walking foot/feed dogs are going will also cause these problems
Old 09-22-2011, 02:22 PM
Power Poster

When I put my sandwich together I make sure that the backing is quite taut (but not overstretched). Then I smooth the batting and pat down the top until it is also taut. I pin about hand-width apart. Have not had problems.

I believe that your SIDs are too far apart, but you can add lines inbetween. Odds are, your stitches were a little too tiny and the poor foot had trouble keeping up. I set my stitch length to 3 or 3.5 (Compared to 2 or 2.5 for piecing)

Good luck. You are way more patient than I would be. If my quilt wants to misbehave twice, it stays the way it is puckers and all.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:51 AM

If you don't have a deadline for the quilt, I would set it aside and work on something else for a while, it seems that sometimes things just don't want to be made. Quilting is supposed to be relaxing not stressful.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:40 AM

Iron-on batting might work for you. The adhesive washes out, but hold reat during quilting.

Also, once you start FMQ, you may never want to SITD. My experience ;)
Old 09-23-2011, 06:00 AM

Awww thanks guys really appreciate all your suggestions and comments. I've done a bit of FMQ before but not much, I really wanted to just knock this quilt out because otherwise my daughter won't get much use fro
It x