Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP!!! wanting new quilting machine, which way to go...need advise >

HELP!!! wanting new quilting machine, which way to go...need advise

HELP!!! wanting new quilting machine, which way to go...need advise

Old 10-09-2011, 12:37 PM

Anyone heard of or have Bailey's longarm machine, I found this web site from a quilting magazine ..http://www.baileyssewingcenter.com/index.html...I would assume it would be a good machine if the magazine had them in it. I am looking to buy a new machine.

I want a machine that can go on or off of a frame, want it to have a stich regulator and either a lazer to follow patterns or on for stencils or the roll pattern (I think they call them pantagraphs). I would like for it to have decorative stiches so I would not have to use two machines at one time.

I am just so lost on what I really want/need in a machine and which machine I want/need for my first quilting machine. I want to start doing my own quilting and know for sure I want the stitch regulator.

I have been going around looking at machines and getting info on them. My problem is the cost. So far I really like the Bernina 820 but has a price tag of $6299 amd then I will still need to buy the frame at around $600.

I also like the sweet sixteen atarting at $4999 and will need to get a frame also for it. Then I have found a Juki TL98Q and a 8' frame for $2700 online.

I have looked at the Brothers Laura Ashley (Innov-'is NX200) at $2199, a Juki TL200QI at $899, a Brother PQ1500S at $599.

I was hoping to keep my price between $3-5000 including the frame, but now I see that depending on which way I go I may need to spend more. We might be doing the full time RV thing in the next year so want something that can travel easy and light with as little as possible to be able to do it all, i.e. sew, peice, decortive stitch and quilting either with or with out a frame.

HELP ME I AM DROWING!!!
Old 10-09-2011, 12:43 PM
Power Poster

this summer, i visited the Bailey's shop. The owner is a great guy and happy to talk to you about any questions you might have. the Bailey's is a stretched Janome.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:38 PM

First, since you mention that you might be going RV'ing full time--where are you going to setup a frame? Light & portable does not exactly go with long throated machine. Also, quilting machines--especially mid & long arm machines are single function--no fancy stitches and most don't have feed dogs. Stitch regulators are another story. The stitch regulators on most machines are actually a sensor mechanism that mounts on the carriage of the quilting frame and senses how fast/slow you are going and cuts into the speed of the machine to try and control your stitch length. Bernina is the only sit-down machine I know of with a stitch regulator. Supposedly other folks had come up with a 3rd party stitch length regulator that went on the actual machine and not the carriage but I never saw such a gizmo in the wild except for Bernina. I think Viking had something called a Fabric Mover that may have worked similarly.

So--if you find a way to setup & store a quilting frame in an RV--you're going to want one that is easily taken apart and put back together again--that knocks out a bunch of them.

From what you've described--I think you'll want to check out the Janome Horizon and Viking Sapphire. Those will give you a longer throat, fancy stitches and are sort of portable if you're strong and don't have to carry it very far. The stitch regulation is going to be a problem unless Quilters Cruise Control now makes a module for one of those machines. They did not for my Elna 7200 when I first bought it so I just learned to regulate myself. If you find that the frame is going to be a problem, stitch regulation isn't going to work for you anyway unless you go with the Bernina which is well over your budget.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:46 PM

I don't think Bailey does any more than straight stitch, however, everyone seems to be happy with the quality. It is only usable on a frame though. I called once to see if there was table it would work with and was told not at that time so there may be one now. I agree you might like the Horizon and don't forget Babylock Symphony! They both have a large throat! Good luck and let us know what you decide to buy!
Old 10-09-2011, 02:05 PM

Would a HQ Sixteen sitdown model work?

http://www.handiquilter.com/product/hq-sweet-sixteen/
Old 10-09-2011, 02:06 PM
Power Poster

I think you really need to narrow down what you want.

For an RV, I would want simply a nice, small, lightweight, portable sewing machine to piece on. I'd probably pre-cut all the pieces and pack them into kits, piecing quilt tops while on the road.

The quilting machine setup would be for home, where you have the space to work comfortably. Again, I would want to have a machine on the frame that I could leave up at all times. I would not want to have to move a machine off the frame in order to piece.

Next thing to decide is do you want to sit down or stand up? The George and one other setup (can't recall the name at the moment) are good options for small spaces. It's sit-down machine quilting on a machine that is specifically designed for sit-down free motion quilting. It doesn't take nearly as much space as the longarm setups.

In terms of keeping price down, have you considered building your own frame? Here's one to consider:
http://buildaquiltingframe.weebly.com/index.html
The only decision you have to make for this frame is which size machine head you will use on it (the carriage needed for the deep throat machines is bigger).

With this approach I think you could fulfill all of your needs (home piecing, home quilting, RV piecing) and still remain within budget. It's a good way to start. If, after a year or two, you find you absolutely *love* long-arm quilting, you can upgrade to a professional type of system. (For this, I personally would probably start by considering a complete Innova setup; however, I doubt I will ever get that far!)

Also, you might want to join the homequiltingsystems group on Yahoo! for additional advice. There are tons of quilters there with Bailey machines and other machines who can give you all of the pro's and con's. Every machine and every system has both! The rule-of-thumb advice on that group is to give yourself one complete year to research and try out different systems before investing in one. Several people there admitted they bought expensive setups and then were paralyzed for years, unable to use them, because they were completely intimidated. You need to get something that you will be comfortable using from the get-go.

Edit: I could be wrong, but I think any really good machine for a frame setup is not going to have decorative stitches. That's one reason I recommend getting a separate machine for the frame and for piecing. It's pretty easy to get decorative stitches on a home machine.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by bjeriann
Would a HQ Sixteen sitdown model work?

http://www.handiquilter.com/product/hq-sweet-sixteen/
I am interested in this one.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:33 PM

Keep coming with the advise, I am taking it all in and it is giving me other things to think about.

Thanks....
Old 10-09-2011, 02:42 PM

I have the Bernina 830 LE and so far have quilted one quilt with it on the frame. I was very pleased with the way it worked. The Bernina 820 would give you decorative stitches, the regulator and the ability to put it on a frame or use it sitting down (perhaps you could get a used one, or wait for a special promotion where they have special financing or a free frame). You would probably be able to fit the machine in your RV and the extra throat space and regulator would allow you to do quilting while traveling but would have to be off the frame. I have the Grace frame, but I do agree with the others, that even set up at the small size which is about 5 feet, it wouldn't be very portable.

I did have a Juki 98 on a frame and it was a great machine, but only 8 inches in the throat. The Bernina has about 13" and it really makes a big difference.

So, I guess you really have to refine what you are looking for, and will the RVing be a deciding factor.

Good luck, and don't forget to let us know what you decide.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:53 PM

I love my Bernina 830LE. It does EVERYTHING! DH takes it on and off the frame for me. I use it for the decorative stitches and embroidery. For piecing the 380 is much more responsive. The 830 is wonderful on the frame and comes with free classes. I would think it would be a bit big for an RV but I would throw out all kinds of other stuff to make room for it myself! Perhaps you could buy an 820 demo for less? They do come with a BSR.