Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!  Washing flannel >

Help! Washing flannel

Help! Washing flannel

Old 04-15-2016, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by quiltnutt View Post
I never pre wash flannels or pre cuts..they ravel and it is a pain to iron. The fabric company's even recommend that you DO NOT PREWASH.

I love flannel quilts and I sleep with one every nite.

I have been quilting for over 40 yrs and also I am a longarmer. I make my flannel quilts, quilt them, bind the and then wash in cold water. The quilt all shrinks the same and I have never have had any issues.
I totally agree with quiltnutt. The only time I pre wash flannel is if it were mixed with regular cotton fabrics on the top or the back to a quilt that was made with regular fabrics but even then I NEVER prewash precuts! Yes - flannel shrinks more than regular quilting cotton BUT by prewashing the precuts you risk fraying and distortion and then - you have the dreaded ironing (lol).

If it is all the same quality fabric then I would assemble the quilt as is. Yes - the fabric will shrink after washing but it will be proportional to one another and you will not see it.
Old 04-16-2016, 03:16 AM

Years ago. I asked a LQS owner about prewashing flannels. She replied she doesn't prewash them. I don't, either. The only time I would prewash flannel is for clothing apparel such as a shirt or nightgown.
Old 04-16-2016, 03:19 AM

I think you'll be fine not washing the flannel.

Nancy
Old 04-16-2016, 03:58 AM

First of all, I think the pattern you have chosen to do is a great choice for the flannels you are working with. If you want the best finished product possible there are steps to take. Some flannel shrinks a great deal. It depends on the quality. I have had some flannel (name brands like Moda and Maywood) that had little shrinkage. Others, from chain stores were loosely woven with yarns that were not tightly twisted, shrank a lot. Because you have a variety of pieces it is important to get the shrinkage out. Hot water and an iron will take care of the problem. Use the hottest water out of the tap. Fill the sink. Add the fabric pieces (you might want to use a lingerie bag for some of the smallest pieces). Let it soak for a while. Drain the water out, squeeze (don't wring) the excess water out. Dry by hanging on hangers or a line and iron with a hot iron. I like to use steam when I iron them. Be sure you wait until the pieces are completely dry before storing them. Just be a bit patient and you will be fine.
Old 04-16-2016, 05:08 AM

I love those fabrics together! I do make a lot of flannel quilts and buy good quality flannels. I do not pre-wash because I like the slightly crinkled look and feel when washed after quilting. I do steam the fabric before cutting and it does seem to shrink. If I think something may shrink a lot because it feels thin or is loosely woven then I cut a three inch square and steam it really well. Then measure. If it really shrinks badly, I will pre-wash that. If I pre wash, then I will starch flannel after drying. To me it is easier to work with before washing or after starching. I find I can be more accurate. Your quilt will be beautiful no matter which way you go.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:47 AM

Maniac quilter2. Just a heads up I made this quilt following the link you gave me on the thread looking for a pattern for a baby quilt. The instructions are not very clear and using the instructions the chevrons were vertical rather than horizontal. You can probably adapt it or I didn't follow them correctly. Interested in how you get on. I washed some flannel for the backing and just dried it over a radiator no problems so think your suggestion would work.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:49 AM

Very good point, cheshirecatquilter.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:19 AM

Wash them in your sink, then take them to the laundromat, or ask one of the people in the church group to dry them in a dryer for you. but before you go through that, ask the folks in the church group if they were already washed and pre-shrunk!

If you wash them in a washing machine, put them in lingerie bags or a pillow case so that the strips don't tangle up together. I have used the lingerie bag successfullly, and I think if you pinned the end of a pillow case pinned closed You would get the same result.

Last edited by cathyvv; 04-16-2016 at 09:29 AM.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:22 AM

Haven't tried that, but i think the shrinking of a finished quilt would cause the quilt to go out of shape when it is washed and dried. No two fabrics ever shrink exactly the same amount.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:24 AM

I just made a kid's charity quilt out of flannel. I didn't prewash any of it. figure it will all shrink at the same rate later. I was worried that the fabric would become real loose and unstable and didn't want to deal with that. Wasn't going to use starch for a kid's quilt.