Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Help - wet and moldy.

Help - wet and moldy.

My sister purchased fabric for me at a yardsale 3 weeks ago. There are 30 - 40 fat quarters and 20 - 30 clear plastic unsealed bags with 1 - 2 yards of fabric in each. When I got it yesterday and looking through the fat quarters on the bottom of the plastic tote they are in, they were wet and moldy.

I know I am throwing all the fat quarters out, but would you also throw the fabric in the unsealed plastic bags out too?

I'm thinking I should, but I need advice.

Thanks!!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-02-2012 at 05:01 AM. Reason: update title to reflect contents

I think I would give it all a whirl in the washer and dryer first... not much to loose except some soap, water and a little time and electricity. You may be surprised at the end results... Hope it works out well... Faye

I would wash everything before deciding what to throw out. If the fabric in the unsealed plastic bags has no mold, they may be useable. Before washing, trim the edges with pinking shears. This will keep the threads from coming loose and tangling everything. I'd sure hate to throw that much fabric out!

Hi Carol...I would pitch it all. We spend too much of our time and effort in putting together a nice gift for someone or for ourselves and we want it to last. You cannot be sure where this fabric even came from. It may not be quality fabric to begin with.

Blog Entries
    I agree with Beebee - if you don't successfully remove all of the mold, it can cause problems later. That being said, if you really want to try, here is a good site http://www.ehow.com/how_7021088_way-...on-fabric.html
    Nancy in western NY

The Ehow article is great. I could not throw out fabric without trying to save it. If you can save even 50% of it, you are so far ahead!

One thing I would add....Odoban, Eucalyptus scent, is a wonderful odor remover. It is, also, a disinfectant. If, after you wash & do everything else, the smell persists. Try soaking the fabric in an Odoban solution...less than 1/8 cup per washer load. Odoban can be purchased at Sam's Clubs & Home Depot by the gallon. I use it in all my wash to get rid of odors, especially sweat. It was the only thing I found that got rid of cigarette smoke smell in carpeting in a trailer we purchased that had been used & abused.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

"One thing I would add....Odoban, Eucalyptus scent, is a wonderful odor remover."

Thanks for recommending this -- I'd never heard of it -- and I love the smell of Eucalyptus.

I'd wash the fabric, too. You might get lucky and salvage more than you think.

Power Poster
    I would also try washing everything first - in hot water - LIKE COLORS TOGETHER - so if in case you had a bleeder, it wouldn't do much noticeable damage.

(Depending on how moldy things were - if it was just 'a touch' - I would give it a try - if the fabrics are the color of charcoal - I would also toss them)

I think I would consider wearing rubber gloves while handling the fabrics, though.

This is another 'it depends' situation -

Just removing the odor will NOT kill/remove mold/mildew spores. Before washing, I would give them a good soaking with vinegar and hot water. Use a bucket or some other small container, not your washing machine. Use about a cup of white vinegar, to a gallon of HOT water and let the fabric soak (stirring, every now and then), for several hours. That should kill any mold/mildew spores, as well as get rid of any odor. After the soaking, wash the fabric (you can pour the soaking water into the washer, with the fabric), as usual. The detergent should remove the vinegar smell.

Some of the fabrics may bleed, so it's best to do like colors, together.

BTW, I agree with throwing out the obviously molded fabric!
    Last edited by Neesie; 07-02-2012 at 07:48 AM. Reason: decided to add something
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Power Poster
    What about adding peroxide to the wash water?

(I don't know what it does to fabrics - I know it used to be used in cleaning wounds - pour it in/on - watch it bubble - swab out the goop - redress the wound)

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast