Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help!! What am I doing wrong?

Help!! What am I doing wrong?

I new to quilting as some of you know. I brought one of those monthly Quilt Block Kit. And this is the problem. I cut each piece like I should I measured and remeasured. 2"x2" each finish row should be 2"x 6 1/2". And when finish the whole thing should be 6 1/2 x 6 1/2 Well mine is 6 x 6 I measured my seams to make sure they are 1/4 and they are. I just don't know where I went wrong. Any suggests? Nothing ever comes out the size it should with me.
    Nell
    Last edited by NellLaCaze; 11-06-2011 at 08:46 AM. Reason: wrong size

Check the pattern. Maybe the seams should be 1/4??? That is the norm . Don't give up!

sherylb
    Know what matters!
    Sheryl B

Can you tell us what the block name is? If you have 2" squares what shape are you adding them to?

Sherylb,
    I did do the 1/4 seam I just miss printed. It makes the square 6 x 6. And I so wanted this to work out. I took my time and measured and measured before I cut. I just don't know.

The name of it is Spice of Life or Block 6 Eat, Drink & Be Merry. Maybe that what wrong I need a drink to see this right. I will try and post a picture of it.

Then possible there was a misprint on the patern. It happens Call where you got it to see if there were revisions. if so you'll get a new block kit free. If not... get your ripper ready It'll be ok.
    Know what matters!
    Sheryl B

As long as your blocks are consistent you are doing OK. Keep going. If you do a row of 6 x 6 blocks up and down it will still come out even if it is a simple pattern.
    there is enough time for the important things
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...4F3C238D19.png

2" squares sewn together = 1 1/2"...so, 4 of them should measure 6"
    it sounds as if you needed to add a seam allowance...1/2" seam allowances need to be added to pieces that will be sewn into blocks. it sounds as if the 2" is the finished size
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

That's a 12 1/2" block. Check to make sure you didn't, maybe, mix up a few pieces. Star over with identifing each cut piece and where it should go in that block.
    Know what matters!
    Sheryl B

Blog Entries
    Test your seam allowance. Cut a 2.5" strip of fabric, cut that into 3 pieces, and sew those 3 pieces together. Press the seams to one side, then measure the width. If you don't get a width of 6.5", then the problem is with your seam allowance and/or your pressing. The seam allowance needs to be *scant* because when you iron the seam some of the fabric is used up by the "turn of the cloth". This is how cutting exactly and sewing an exact 1/4" seam allowance can cause your blocks to come out smaller than you expect.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast