Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help... What am I doing wrong

OK Saturday afternoon I attended a quilt class, the instructor had us drop the feed dogs and to put our stitch length all the way to zero so our feed dogs would not move.

I practiced and practiced and the top stitching looks very nice but the bottom stitches are loose in spots and sometimes have a bump at the corners.

I put in a brand new needle at the beginning of class, what am I doing wrong?

I am using a White Style Maker Pro and I cannot increase/decrease the tension on the bobbin, there is no place to do it.

My first instinct is to completely re-thread the machine. Sometimes it works. On my Pfaff, if the bottom stitches are loose, it's usually because it didn't like the way I threaded it that time.

By the sounds of it, your top tension is too loose.

If the bottom thread is loose it's not the bobbin tension, it's the top tension. If your feed dogs are dropped I would lower the top tension one number at a time until your bottom stitches are even. Make sure your thread is going through the tension discs and is threaded correctly. If you still have problems, let us know.

Ditter

Blog Entries
    My machine requires that the foot-picker-upper-lever (don't u just love my technical lingo? lol) has to be pushed in a certain position - otherwise mine does the same thing. Did you check your manual?

I checked my manual and it has nothing about it, very frustrating

Is your top thread and bobbin thread the same? I thought I was being frugal on one of my first projects and put old thread on the bobbin. It did the "loopy" thing. Just a thought.

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    When ever my machine does that it means it is time to clean the lint out of the bobbin area. I clean it put the bobbin back in and it runs just fine.

Blog Entries
    i find,that after i check the tension, it is usually operator error, like me going around curves to fast! which causes the "eyelashes" or "train tracks" looking mess on the back only.

I cleaned and oiled the machine before going to this quilt class, it could be I was going too fast, I will post a picture tomorrow and you can tell me what you think.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast