Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Help !! What am I doing wrong

Taping the backing is so important. Basting spray instead of pins helped me a lot too. Less shifting.

Blog Entries
    If you heavily starch your backing fabric before layering, that will stabilize the backing for both pinning and quilting. It eliminates a lot of puckering problems.

Blog Entries
    I was taught to baste an X through the quilt, then a - from side to side and top to bottom. Smooth the space between the basting and if any fabric pools up at the basting stitches the back is not taunt enough. The back needs to be pretty darn taunt.

i had this problem and i was using the walking foot that came with my machine. i changed to a regular foot and it is alot better.

I pin my quilts with large safety pins. I have a glass topped dining table and I use squeeze type wood clamps and smooth out the back, clamp using at least 8 clamps, smooth out batting, clamp with same clamps, smooth out top and clamp, same 8 clamps, repeat until all is pinned about 3-4" all over. I pin all around the edge of the last border real close and don't remove these pins until I'm ready to trim it. I almost always do a large stipple, meander or whatever, going through the center top to bottom, then go across the center, side to side, then quilt all one quarter, then just repeat until the center is quilted, then quilt the borders, removing a few pins at a time. This method works great for me.

Wow!!! I have made over 60 quilts and never even heard of taping the backing down until today. Never had a problem with it moving around. But love all of these little tidbits, because you never know when you will need them!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2