Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help..will pieced batting show on a white quilt >

Help..will pieced batting show on a white quilt

Help..will pieced batting show on a white quilt

Old 03-28-2015, 04:17 PM

Default Help..will pieced batting show on a white quilt

I am getting ready to sandwich a baby quilt I am making. It has a lot of white. I had planned to piece some left over batting but now I am not so sure. Do you think the batting seams will show through the white?
Old 03-28-2015, 04:22 PM

They might, have you tired doing a sample of white fabric on pieced batting. I know in the past I have pieced batting but not put it under white fabric instead I used colored and I couldn't really tell a difference. I know that really doesn't help a whole lot but I think if you can make a sample you will now more about how it will look.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:54 PM
Power Poster

It depends on your method. I don't like the feel or look (light quilt) of zig zag join in a quilt but the batting tape might be okay. If the back is dark it will probably be okay also. I save my zig zag joins for table runners or wallhanging.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:00 PM

I whip stitch my batting pieces together by hand. As long as all your batting pieces are the same color, I think you will be fine. I use lots of white in my quilts and don't think I have ever had an issue with batting joints showing through--but only use white batting on quilts with lots of white fabric.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:05 PM

Make a small test , of pieced batting and lay the all of the white fabrics used on the test batting you joined.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:05 AM
Power Poster

I would do a test but I use fusible Pellon lightweight to fuse the Hobbs 80/20batting. I first do an over-cut so that both sides are exactly the same and will butt up exactly. Can't feel it and you should see it either.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:57 AM

I have never had a problem. I either sew the batting together by hand or I use the tape I got at Hobby Lobby. It doesn't show at all.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
I whip stitch my batting pieces together by hand. As long as all your batting pieces are the same color, I think you will be fine. I use lots of white in my quilts and don't think I have ever had an issue with batting joints showing through--but only use white batting on quilts with lots of white fabric.
Yes this! I use large loose stitches.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:36 AM

I piece batting frequently and use the tape method of joining the pieces. This avoids a ridge that could be obvious if it falls in the wrong place. I think you could join the pieces by a hand done feather stitch without any problem. Be sure to use the same brand and type of batting pieces in your quilt. If you mix types of batting you will have problems because each type shrinks and settles differently.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:39 AM

I quilt on a long arm machine so the quilting is fairly close. I may be sorry one day, but I just butt my batting together and quilt it....no extra stitches or tape. As for whether I would use it under white fabric...I'd test first. It will depend on how see through your white fabric in your quilt is. I don't buy the almost see through whites. I don't like my seams showing through the fabric. And, yes, I don't have hardly any white in my stash. Almost all of it is too thin for my taste.

I do use a white batting for light projects. Beige batting for medium colors or something with a lot of beige background fabrics, and black batting for those intense fabric combinations. Beige will make white look dingy and I don't like that at all.