Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with yardage >

Help with yardage

Help with yardage

Old 08-21-2014, 10:11 AM

I don't know if this will help but there times when my machine will not go over multiple seams. Especially where they join . My trick is to put a jean jumper behind the needle put the lever down to hold it in place. Then I sew over that area until my presser foot clears that joint, usually just a few stitches. I don't know how this would work for free motion quilting on DSM however great for stitch in the ditch and grid quilting.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:32 PM

That's what happened to me, made a double sided quilt, each side with lots of fabric, and it's too heavy, wanted it for a summer covers, but will have to wait for the fall, it's too heavy!
Old 08-21-2014, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by WILCOX2005 View Post
I am making a king size double sided quilt for a wedding/Christmas gift. It is going to be a double wedding ring quilt on one side and a double Irish chain on the other side I have the yardage for the double wedding ring the size is 93x108. I am not sure on the double Irish chain I know my colors which are dark and light blues for the squares and black for the open block. The block size will be 10 inches. I really need help with the yardage of it please I would be forever grateful.
This sounds like quite the undertaking. You don't say whether you plan to send to Long Arm quilter or do it on home machine or hand quilt As a long arm quilter, I would be concerned about 2 things--seams lined up and causing machine "jumps" and also lining up the front/back so that they align. When you put a quilt on the rollers on long arm, there is always going to be little difference in alignment--that and the fact that the quilting process draws up bat and backing, will make it hard to keep the back centered.
You also don't say when this needs to be done by--remember you are actually going to be doing two large quilts by Christmas?? Maybe do the wedding quilt now and next year a Christmas quilt?
Old 08-21-2014, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I put a 10-inch double Irish chain into EQ7 and came out with the following. I seldom rely entirely on EQ7, preferring to figure out my own yardage based on how I plan to cut the fabric, but this will give you an idea. I made the quilt back 100x120 inches, since the back needs to be bigger than the front.
I ewsh I was computer smart enough & my computer new enough to be able to do & understand the EQ systems. But then again I can get help here from everyones knowledge. Well done Dunster as always...you are the TOPS!