Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with yardage >

Help with yardage

Help with yardage

Old 08-19-2014, 10:15 AM

Default Help with yardage

I am making a king size double sided quilt for a wedding/Christmas gift. It is going to be a double wedding ring quilt on one side and a double Irish chain on the other side I have the yardage for the double wedding ring the size is 93x108. I am not sure on the double Irish chain I know my colors which are dark and light blues for the squares and black for the open block. The block size will be 10 inches. I really need help with the yardage of it please I would be forever grateful.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:32 PM
Power Poster

I put a 10-inch double Irish chain into EQ7 and came out with the following. I seldom rely entirely on EQ7, preferring to figure out my own yardage based on how I plan to cut the fabric, but this will give you an idea. I made the quilt back 100x120 inches, since the back needs to be bigger than the front.
Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   2.jpg  
Old 08-19-2014, 06:13 PM

Thanks that gives me a great step in the right direction
Old 08-19-2014, 06:18 PM

Wow -- that is an ambitious undertaking!! Please keep us posted on your progress.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:57 AM

that would be a really pretty quilt.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:25 AM

Dunster - Not to hijack this thread but I don't understand why the back needs to be bigger than the front. Wouldn't you want them the same size?
Old 08-20-2014, 05:35 AM
Power Poster

I don't want to be negative, but I put a Yellow Brick Road (enlarged the blocks) on the back of a very technical Bargello. Just beware, I NEVER dealt with skipped stitches and this is the only time my Bernina 1530 balked especially where the thickness of numerous seams were on top of one another. I wish you the best of luck. I will NEVER try that again !!
Old 08-20-2014, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
Dunster - Not to hijack this thread but I don't understand why the back needs to be bigger than the front. Wouldn't you want them the same size?
You always need your backing to be bigger than you top especially with any quilt bigger than a twin. That is why most quilters will require the back to be no less than 3" on each side of the back. Doesn't matter if you are a LAQ or a quilter using a DSM. You don't want to EVER be short on one side of your backing.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:33 AM
Power Poster

The quilting process 'draws up' the backing and batting- both need to be larger than the quilt top (often quilters require 3"-5" larger all the way around) to make sure you do not wind up short nearing the end and also to compensate for any (not quite even/straight) issue with the top. The excess batting/backing is trimmed away after the quilting is completed as the whole quilt is squared up before the binding. Also, it is very difficult to keep a top and backing perfectly lined up with each other as it is quilted. There are ways but it certainly adds a lot of labor to the project
Old 08-20-2014, 11:34 AM

Interesting! I've only made one double-sided quilt and I made both sides the same size. I just made sure to match the edges of the sides up and then machine-basted them together around the edges. Then I just FMQ'd the whole thing with loop-de-loops and called it a day. I ran into problems where too many seams intersected and had to sort of jig and jag around those, but otherwise I didn't have trouble with puckers or anything else.

BUT...both sides were foundation-pieced crazy quilts and maybe all that extra fabric makes a big difference in keeping things the correct size/shape(??). It was kind of a failed experiment anyway, it ended up so heavy I just keep it over a chair, it's not really comfy to sit under, and I didn't even put batting in it. Next time I do crazy quilts like this I won't do double-sided. Oh well. I sure did use up a LOT of scraps though! LOL