Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Helping a friend, need advice: >

Helping a friend, need advice:

Helping a friend, need advice:

Old 10-02-2014, 11:50 AM
Power Poster

She also won't be able to blame you for not getting what she thinks it's worth versus what some one else thinks it's worth. Show her the links on e-bay and tell her to deal with it.
Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Okay this is my own personal opinion and worth exactly what you paid for it, and I may get flamed for it, but I'm gonna say it anyway.

My sense of this situation is your friend wants to get as much money for as little work as possible, and you are getting pulled by her tractor beam into the crosshairs. RUN. Let her deal with it. You are a quilter, not a professional restorer or appraiser. You are right; if she wants money for anything she wants to sell, she should get it appraised. That way she can back up her pricing with paperwork and provenance. Appraisers may also be able to suggest appropriate selling venues.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:53 AM
Power Poster

Ok I didn't read all the posts all the way through but glad it was taken care of.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:41 PM
Power Poster

I totally agree with peckish.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:16 PM

Okay this is my own personal opinion and worth exactly what you paid for it, and I may get flamed for it, but I'm gonna say it anyway.

My sense of this situation is your friend wants to get as much money for as little work as possible, and you are getting pulled by her tractor beam into the crosshairs. RUN. Let her deal with it. You are a quilter, not a professional restorer or appraiser. You are right; if she wants money for anything she wants to sell, she should get it appraised. That way she can back up her pricing with paperwork and provenance. Appraisers may also be able to suggest appropriate selling venues.
Might sound a bit harsh, but Peckish is right! Let her deal with it.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:21 PM

I agree too
Old 10-02-2014, 06:56 PM

Sometimes there is a date somewhere on the quilt. If you see it again, try to find it. If it is dated, it still may have value to a collector. She could always fold it at the bottom of a spare bed or chair to enjoy it.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:28 AM

Sounds like you lucked out on that. I don't often sell my quilts either, no one really wants to pay for the time or work one does or the cost of fabrics either. I either keep them or gift them. I checked the two quilts on ebay that Prism 99 listed for an example, and both are pretty, but I my opinion the second one with the American flag in the center takes away from the quilt. I am very patriotic, but I think it just doesn't fit with the rest of the quilt. Thanks Prism 99 for sharing the listing.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:30 AM

Visit several antique stores to see if you can find one priced there. Perhaps it could be consigned to an antique store for a better price. Google antique crazy quilts to see what you get as far as pictures and maybe contact someone there who can help.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:04 AM

WHEW!!! Close call - I would not have wanted to do this!!

Originally Posted by wildyard View Post
Very interesting outcome today. After seeing the quilt, it was not in good shape as I expected. About 20% was damaged by wear. I pleaded inability to make a proper judgement and she decided to keep it. She gifted me one quilt with one area of damage, one flimsy with 2 missing blocks and a set of very old blocks in muslin and blue, tree of life, 11 blocks and 4 in the same colors that are signature blocks. There is a lot of flocking on the muslin, so I'll be trying to get them cleaned up.
She didn't bring any blocks for me to sew and give back. Not sure what happened to that but I didn't ask.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:42 AM

Agree! What is in It for you?
sandy